21

Chapter 21- Langa's POV:

"Are you sure that this is a good idea?" I giggle.

"Yes. Everyone else in our group has their signature look, we need one too! Now stay still, Langa! You'll make me mess this eye shadow up."

I obey, keeping my eyes shut, enjoying the feeling of the soft brush running across my eyelids.

"Okay. Looks good. Eyeliner?"

"Yes, definitely!" I say, feeling another makeup instrument being ran along the edges of my eye.

"Okay. Open." Reki says, clearly proud of his handiwork.

"How do I look?"

"Fabulous!"

I'm pushed in front of the mirror and I smile at my own reflection, admiring the immaculate makeup look Reki has put together for us. Deep purple eyeshadow fading to midnight blue, the same colour combination dusting the top of my cheeks, as well as heavy winged black eyeliner and small, shimmery rhinestone jewels underneath and next to my eyes. It's amazing.

"Do you like it?" Reki asks, wearing the same, except with electric blue fading to teal and then green.

"Yes!" I say, "How did you learn to do that?"

"Well, my sister likes wearing makeup sometimes. So do I. It's fun..." He admits, looking slightly embarrassed by the stereotypically feminine hobby.

"You are teaching me how to do that." I say defiantly. I take another rhinestone sticker from the sheet, this one heart shaped, and stick it to his cheek.

"Now you're complete." 

I can't help but admire the amount of knowledge Reki has about thing's he's passionate about. I mean, he may not know the difference between geometry and trigonometry, but he's managed to throw together amazing outfits for us to wear in less than 3 hours.

"Thanks! Ready to go?" He asks, standing up.

As he stands up I take in how breathtaking he looks in the black jeans and teal shirt with glittery buttons.

"No," I say, "just stand there for a second."

He looks confused but does what he's told, and stands perfectly still, like he's a statue.

"You look so good..." I sigh.

"Shut up! You'll make me blush again!"

"But you do," I tease, "so pretty!"

"Okay, okay, very funny! C'mon, we'll be late!"

I stand up too and we run excitedly out of Reki's house, getting approval of our matching clothing from Koyomi as we do so.

"I love how you're dressed up even though you're not skating." I laugh.

"Hey! I'll be cheering on the side lines, may as well look good while doing it!"

As we walk to the restaurant, everything seems perfect. I'm happy. Reki is happy. The sun is setting, making the city look beautiful. Perfect.

Then, someone I wasn't hoping to see steps from the doors of a nearby store, his unusual violet eyes narrowing as he sees the two of us.

I say nothing to him, letting him stare us down for a moment.

He's clearly being judgmental, acting like we're something he'd consider as freaks instead of two teenagers going to skate together. Maybe we are freaks to him. Whatever.

"You look weird." Kaiyo says.

"Really? That's the best insult you could think of?" Reki snarls.

"We are weird, though," I tell him, "is that a problem? I thought I looked nice in purple."

The ravenette has no response to this, he just continues staring at us, clearly irritated by the fact that we're together.

"Just take a photo already." Reki sighs, and we walk away feeling daggers shooting into our backs.

"He doesn't look very threatening, does he?" I say thoughtfully.

"I'm still angry at him. I'll never forgive him for what he tried to do..."

"We don't have to talk to him, it's okay." I remind him.

"I'm still annoyed..."

"He got what was coming to him. It's okay. If he ever tries to do anything like that again, I'll tell the principal."

Reki nods, seeming apprehensive but satisfied, muttering "I'm not jealous, I just don't want you to be uncomfortable." I believe him.

As we enter the restaurant, I see our friends dressed in their stunning signature skating outfits. Now Reki and me have one, too.

Joe wolf whistles as us as we enter, playfully applauding our bright clothing and dramatic makeup.

"You kind of look like catwalk runaways, not going to lie." Miya says.

"Wow, thanks..." Reki says sarcastically.

"Hey," an oblivious Shadow says slowly, head cocked to the side in wonder and confusion, "why are you two holding hands again? It's been a month."

"Yes, you see, we've decided to never stop playing Truth Or Dare." Reki says.

Shadow doesn't get it.

"Hah!" Miya laughs gleefully, looking at Shadow's confusion like he's the silliest thing ever, "You're even more stupid than I thought! And that's saying something considering that up until this point, I was convinced you had the IQ of a red crayon! Now you're chalk."

"That was the weirdest way to phrase that." I say, "You could've just said that we're dating."

"OH MY GOD ARE YOU REALLY?" Shadow gasps. I start laughing and go help Joe serve the food, listening to the very excited discussion that Reki and Shadow are having about "since when" and "well I suspected it" and "I'm so happy for you two".

"So, you'll take all my advice from now on, will you?" Joe whispers to me.

"No, definitely not all of it," I sigh, "but you were right about that one."

He smiles smugly.

"I am, in fact, always right."

"How's living with that one going?" I ask Joe, gesturing to Cherry who, as he always does, looks thoroughly uninterested in everything going on, and is writing yet again.

"Well actually..."

Joe suddenly starts grinning as he gets up to set the table. 

He holds his left hand up to show me the rose gold piece of jewelry on his ring finger. I gasp as I notice that Cherry is wearing a matching one.

"Really? That's great! Who asked who?" I whisper.

"I asked, obviously. He's too much off a wuss. But he said yes, so..."

"The years really were worth it, then."

"Told you so."

"Oi! Cherry!" I hiss.

"What do you want?" He demands.

"Congrats!"

"Oh. Thanks." He says, hastily returning to his work as if a marriage proposal is routine.

"He isn't very good at showing it, but I promise he does actually love me." Joe says, rolling his eyes in Cherry's general direction as we gather around the table.

"So, we're going to have to hold Reki back from skating, aren't we?" Miya asks over dinner.

"Of course." Reki says, "Will you let me have one race? Just one!"

"No." I say sternly, "Your arm is still in a cast, and you only just got your back to stop hurting."

"Look at you acting overprotective." Shadow snorts, "I'd still skate with a broken arm."

"That's because you're a reckless old man." Miya says indifferently.

"Oi! I'm not reckless, I'm adventurous."

"So you're not denying being an old man, then?"

Shadow narrows his eyes.

"Watch your mouth, pipsqueak."