chapter vi | small

It was a terrible time for rain that night; October 30, 1994. There I was, sitting on my table in my room. It was half past 8pm that night and mom wasn't still back from buying groceries. The rain was heavy pouring that night, and since mom had to balance our money, she had to walk from here to the grocery store and back.

We couldn't afford to have our own vehicle for means of transportation. Dad was out as usual. Every time he got a hold of money from his gambling, he would spend it on drinking and leave an amount not even enough to pay our own damn rent.

This apartment sucked, it reeks and smells. Something was always dripping from the ceiling, and the neighbors... not so quite friendly. Well, what can I say? It was the only one that fits our budget.

I was just sitting in my room that night, doing my homework. There was no other sound I could hear except the heavy pour of rain and the ticking clock. Well maybe, let's add the neighbors' bullshits to the list.

Why am I here? How is this even possible? What's so special about this memory that I have to relive through it? I asked myself.

"Hey! Hey you!" I said, calling the attention of my younger self on the table. "Hey Elliot! Oi!" I kept calling. Apparently, she can't see nor hear me, even though she's just 3 meters away from me.

I stood there at the corner of my room for a couple of minutes, bracing in the nostalgia I was getting, though wasn't really the good kind. After a few more minutes I walked out of my room and into the living room.

"Woah... everything's so.... Small." I whispered to myself.

I walked around the room and softly touched the furniture. The sofa, our small table, and the small TV I used to watch old cartoons at as a kid. If I remember correctly, I would be around 15 years old this time. 2 years before the "incident" happens. I shuffled towards our kitchen which was connected to our living room.

I tried opening our refrigerator to see what was inside, but then I remembered why mom was out. I closed the refrigerator and looked at the clock. It was almost 9pm and mom wasn't still home, so was dad, but I'd never expect him to be home this early.

I walked back to the living room and sat down on the couch to wait. Not long after, the door opened and mom came in carrying a bunch of grocery bags and a small little carton box.

"Elliot! I'm home!" My mom called out to me.

"Mhmm!" I responded from my room.

"Elliot! Come on out of that stinking room of yours! I wanna show you something!" She stated.

"I'm busy mom! Just show me tomorrow!" I responded again.

"You'll be out tomorrow early and when you come back, you'll have another homework as an excuse! Come on out here, this'll be quick!"

"Uughhh fine!" I said, standing up from my chair and walking out of my room. "What is it that you wanted to show me? This better be worth it." I said giving her the look.

"Yeah yeah, I know here it is." She said placing the small carton box on the kitchen table.

"A small box? That's it?"

"Just you wait til' you see what's inside." Mom said.

I stood up from the couch and walked towards myself and mom in the kitchen. I leaned over the table to see what was up with the box. Mom slowly opens the small carton box, revealing what was inside. I was... surprised.

"Ta-da! Isn't it cute!?" Mom exclaimed.

"Woah, where'd you find this kitten?" I asked her.