[1]

"Daddy?" Niall chirped. He was supposed to have been asleep for nearly a half hour now, but Harry and Louis should've expected this. Harry flashed his husband a smile across the table, and Louis smiled back, cheeks pink.

"What's wrong, bub?" Harry asked as he entered Niall's room. He sat at the foot of his son's bed, brushing his messy blonde hair out of his eyes.

Niall pouted up at his father, nuzzling his stuffed tiger under his chin. "Tell me a story?"

"Hmmm...well, if my little Nialler wants a story, then a story he gets, huh?" Harry grinned, tickling Niall's little tummy. Niall giggled, squirming under his father's fingertips.

"Daaaaddy," Niall whined, and Harry laughed and kissed the end of his son's nose.

"Okay, baby. What kind of story?"

"One with mermaids! Mermaids, and spaceships, and a brownie volcano!"

"A brownie volcano?" Harry chuckled. "Okay, baby, whatever you'd like. Here we go." He reached over and switched off the lamp on Niall's bedside table, and turned on the small nightlight in the corner.

"Wait!" Niall cried before Harry sat back down, "Papa has to hear, too!"

Harry just grinned, shaking his head fondly. "Louis," he called, and a few minutes later, Louis popped his head in the doorway.

"What's up, babe?"

Harry gestured for Louis to enter the room. "Niall wants you to come listen to his story."

"Oh, you do?" Louis asked, smiling widely. He sat next to Harry on the foot of Niall's bed, tucking his legs underneath so he could sit cross-legged. "Let's start that story then, huh?"

"Yeah," Niall beamed, hugging his tiger tighter. "Start the story, please, Daddy."

Harry sat back a little, leaning his back against Louis. "Once upon a time....there was a little boy named Niall. He was a very sweet, very smart little boy, with blue eyes and soft blonde hair, and his daddies loved him very much. Niall was an explorer, and flew to distant lands on his rocket ships. One day, on his travels, he landed on a distant planet and met...met a boy named..." Harry trailed off, staring at Louis helplessly. He couldn't think of a name.

"Zayn," Louis blurted, shrugging.

"Right, yeah," Harry nodded, rolling with it. "He met a boy named Zayn. Now, Zayn was special, because he was also an adventurer, and he accompanied Niall on some of his adventures."

"What is Zayn...like?" Niall asked sleepily, blinking at his daddies exhaustedly.

"Zayn was smart, too, and liked Niall very much. He was silly but knew a lot about his planet. He and Niall became close very quickly, and Zayn offered to take Niall to the magical lagoons in the island."

"Mermaids?" Niall chirped.

"That's right, Zayn takes Niall to see the mermaids, because he knew Niall needed to know about them for his research. So Niall studied the mermaids, and then he and Zayn traveled across the island to climb the brownie volcano."

"With fudge lava?" Niall giggled, rubbing his eyes.

"Yes, baby. With fudge and caramel lava, but not too hot to burn them. So they climb the mountain, and they set up camp and live happily ever after."

"Forever?" Niall asked, mostly asleep already.

"Forever," Harry whispered, leaning down to kiss Niall's forehead. "I love you, Ni."

"Love you, Daddy, Papa," Niall hummed as Louis leaned down to kiss his cheek.

"Love you, too, Niall," Louis said, following Harry out of the room. "He loves your stories, Harry."

"Ah, they're nothing," Harry shrugged, "I just make them up on the spot."

"He loves them," Louis repeated, hugging Harry from behind. "You're a great father, Harry."

"Thanks, Lou."