[6]

"Happy birthday, Niall!" Zayn cheered, jumping on the tiny blonde's bed to wake him up. Niall grunted sleepily and rolled over, squeezing his eyes shut tighter. "Niall! Get up, you're five!"

"No," Niall huffed, so Zayn resorted to tickling him until Niall couldn't stand it. "Meanie."

"It's your birthday," Zayn beamed, not even slightly put out by Niall's name calling.

"Oh!" Niall gasped, suddenly wide awake and realizing that this was in fact true. "I'm five!"

"Yeah!" Zayn giggled. Zayn leaned in then, still semi-awkward about affection though he'd been living with them for six months, and hugged Niall. Niall hummed happily and hugged Zayn back, and Zayn even pressed a kiss to the end of the blonde's nose, making him giggle.

"Let's go find Daddy and Papa," Niall smiled, so excited about it being his birthday. He kicked the blankets off his bed and scampered down the steps, Zayn close behind him.

"There's my birthday boy!" Harry cheered, scooping Niall up in his arms and pressing kisses all over his face.

"I'm five, Daddy!" Niall yelled, so freakishly happy.

"I know you are, baby," Harry laughed, kissing Niall's forehead. Zayn leaned his head against Harry's hip, and Harry ruffled his hair affectionately. Harry had grown to love Zayn very much, but Louis still hadn't adjusted, and didn't treat Zayn nearly as kindly as Harry did.

"Happy birthday, Ni!" Louis called as he made his way down the stairs, hair messy. Niall squirmed to be put down so he could hug his papa. Harry immediately scooped Zayn up, knowing how Louis made Zayn feel. Zayn let out a tiny sigh and leaned his head on Harry's shoulder, and Harry ran his large hand up and down Zayn's spine.

"Daddy?" Zayn asked quietly, fingers playing with the curls at the nape of Harry's neck.

"Yeah, bub?"

"Papa doesn't love me." Zayn's voice was sad, and it broke Harry's heart.

"Zayn," Harry said carefully, unsure of what to say, because they both knew it was true.

"It's okay," Zayn murmured. "You love me, right? And Niall, too?"

"Yeah, Zaynie," Harry smiled. "Niall and I love you very, very much." Harry kissed the end of Zayn's nose. "Papa will come around, too. Don't worry."

~ ~ ~

After breakfast, Niall opened his presents. He'd received some Avengers coloring books, a few storybooks, and a drawing from Zayn. The drawing said "Ohana," at the top (Zayn had an obsession with Lilo and Stitch) and featured Louis, Harry, and Niall. Zayn had intentionally left himself out, knowing that not every member of the Stylinson family welcomed him with open arms.

"Why aren't you in the drawing, Zayn?" Harry questioned, still holding Zayn in his arms.

"Because," Zayn said simply, squirming to be put down. Harry obliged, and Zayn made his way back upstairs, a sad look on his face that seemed too old for his face.

"Niall, go play upstairs, please?" Harry asked gently, and Niall nodded, hearing the urgency in his father's voice. "Louis, Zayn knows you hate him."

"I don't hate him!" Louis gasped defensively. "I just don't think he belongs here with us!"

"Louis, he's a kid. He's still practically a baby," Harry said softly, upset. His anger was dry, dry, dry, his voice too soft, too calm. "He intentionally left himself out of that drawing because he can tell that you don't want him here."

"Harry, I'm trying," Louis shrugged. "That's what you asked of me, and that's all I can offer at this point. I'm not perfect, and he --" Louis' face curled up in disgust. "He's not normal, Harry. He's...a monster."

"Louis," Harry gasped, surprised to hear his husband say such a thing. Zayn had given them no reason to feel anything but affection towards him, and here Louis was, disgusted by him. "Louis, have you noticed how much happier Niall has been since Zayn got here? How he learns things more quickly? Zayn's taught him to read books, Lou. Zayn has been nothing but good for this family."

"Maybe..." Louis' voice trembled, and immediately, Harry knew that the next thing Louis was going to say would hurt. "Maybe he's good for your family, Harry. Not mine."

Harry tightened all of his muscles, not having been prepared for that kind of blow. "...What? What are you saying to me, Louis, what are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying..." Louis sighed. "Harry, I'm leaving you."

With those words, with those four words, everything Harry thought he knew was broken, so broken, and he honestly didn't know if he could fix it this time.