[2]

"Daddy, play with me," Niall whined, tugging at Harry's pants leg.

"In a second, love, Daddy's finishing up dinner," Harry said, gaze focused on the pancake he was flipping. "How about you go ask Papa to play with you?"

"'Kay," Niall mumbled, still pouting, but he galloped through the kitchen to his Papa's study. "Papa? Will you play with me?"

"What's the magic word, Ni?" Louis responded, not looking away from his laptop.

"Please?" Niall jutted his lower lip out, and Louis smiled.

"Okay, little man, what do you wanna play?"

"Space travel! But you gotta be Zayn," Niall said, pulling Louis out into the hall.

"Zayn?" Louis repeated, surprised that the character from his bedtime story had stuck with Niall to the following day.

"Yeah. We're trying to save the alien's spaceship because the bad guys crashed it."

"Okay," Louis nodded. He'd always been supportive of Niall's very active imagination. "Are we wearing moon shoes?" Louis started to bounce around the room in an exaggerated manner, and Niall giggled.

"Yeah, Papa, we've gotta have moon shoes!" He bounced around the room with Louis, climbing on the furniture and swinging his imaginary sword at the bad guys.

"Hey, you outer space superheroes, dinner's ready," Harry called, smiling as he popped his head through the doorway.

"C'mon, Niall," Louis grinned, holding his hand out for his son. "I think we won the battle for now."

~ ~ ~
"Daddy, can you tell me another story?" Niall yelled. He was snuggled up in bed with his stuffed tiger, clothed in his astronaut pajamas, hair soft and dipping into his eyes.

"What kind of story?" Harry asked like he always did, and Louis was following him into the room soon after.

"Another about Zayn," Niall said pleadingly. That surprised Harry just as it has surprised Louis earlier - Niall was the type of kid to get bored of things very easily, and it surprised him that he was sticking with Zayn so fervently.

"Okay, um..." Harry racked his brain for a second for something creative, something he knew Niall would love. "After Niall and Zayn finished their mission at the brownie volcano, they took Zayn's spaceship back to Zayn's home planet. Zayn told Niall about the customs on his planet and Niall told Zayn about Earth. By the end of the trip, Niall knew he would have to leave."

"No," Niall whined. "Don't wanna go."

"Zayn didn't want Niall to go either." Harry pushed Niall's hair back. "But he told Niall that if he ever needed to reach him, he just had to wiggle his nose, wiggle his toes, and hold his breath, and Zayn would find him."

Niall giggled. "Wiggle my nose?"

"And your toes," Harry smiled, "and hold your breath. Zayn would always be able to find Niall."

With that, Harry and Louis said goodnight to their son and left the room.

Right before Niall went to sleep, he wiggled his nose, wiggled his toes, and held his breath.