[13]

"You're all okay, then?" Liam asked, yawning and glancing at his watch. He'd stayed with the Styles' family for a few hours, just to make sure that everyone was okay.

"Oh, my God," Harry muttered, glancing at his phone to check the time - it was nearly midnight. "God, Liam, I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Liam said softly, smiling at Harry a little. "I like that you called me. Honestly," he added, when Harry frowned at him disbelievingly. "I do. Makes me feel needed."

Harry's cheeks felt warm, and right then Niall ran into the kitchen where they were sitting. Harry was grateful for the distraction.

"You're leaving?" Niall whined, pouting.

"Yeah, it's getting late, little man. Way past your bedtime," Liam chuckled, scooping Niall up.

"No, I'm a big boy. I don't have a bedtime," Niall told Liam matter-of-factly, and Liam laughed again.

"Is that so?" Liam smiled, tickling Niall's tummy. The toddler squealed, giggling, and then put his tiny hands on Liam's cheeks.

"Don't go," he cooed softly, in that sweet way that only little kids can. "You make everything okay." Liam and Harry's hearts both melted in their chests. "Sleep over!"

"Sleep over?" Liam repeated, smiling, but he glanced over at Harry hopefully. He couldn't help but hope that Harry would let him stay. It was dumb, and maybe even impossible, but he loved this little family already. He wanted so badly to be a part of it.

"Yeah, sleep over," Zayn called from where he was sitting on the couch, lazily coloring a Disney Princess coloring book.

"Daddy?" Niall questioned, twisting around in Liam's arms.

"Well..." Harry began, but both Niall and Liam pouted at him, and he smiled. "Okay."

~ ~ ~

An hour later, they were laying in a tent in the backyard. Liam had the brilliant idea to pretend like they were explorers, and set up a tent in the backyard, complete with sleeping bags. Zayn and Niall were sandwiched together in one sleeping bag, a mess of tiny limbs, Niall's little cheek smooshed against Zayn's chest.

"They're so sweet," Liam murmured, running his fingertips up and down Harry's arm. Goosebumps rose along the inside of Harry's wrist.

"I know," he said quietly. "I'm very proud."

"You should be," Liam nodded. His eyes were so fond as he gazed at Harry, it made him nervous.

"Louis wants me back," Harry breathed. He couldn't stop thinking about it. Liam didn't say anything, just eyed Harry carefully. Whatever decision Harry made, whether it was him or it was Louis, Liam would respect that. He cared enough about Harry to do so. "He...God, Liam, we'd just gotten back, and...I was still glowing, I was still warm from you kissing me...and he..." Harry was struggling to breathe, but Liam just gently traced his fingers over Harry's cheeks, back and forth, back and forth. "I choose you, Liam. Louis hurt Zayn, and..." His eyes were stinging with tears. "I know you never would...I can tell just from how you look at them that you think these kids are special."

Liam leaned in and kissed Harry for the second time, lips so gentle, so warm. Lips like home. "You should be able to tell from the way I look at you that I think you're special, too."