|1|

I smiled as I zoomed past cars on my motorcycle, dodging them easily as I made my way to work. Today, our restaurant is getting a new head chef because our past head chef got fired for trying to blackmail one of the workers into having a relationship with him. It was all chaotic, but after a few months the victim won a lawsuit against our horrible head chef and we've been without one ever since.

It wasn't all that bad, to be honest. I'm the sous chef, so second in command to the head chef, which meant that I was in control of the kitchen for most of the time while another head chef from a different restaurant would come to do the paperwork and things like that. I told them I was skilled enough to become head chef, but of course, they told me no.

I work at the Four Seasons Hotel, a massive hotel franchise that has hotels all over the world; the hotel I'm working at now is in Miami, Florida. There are many different restaurants all over the hotel spamming from Asian cuisine to even South American and everything in between; I'm lucky enough to be working in the Italian restaurant, which is my favourite type of cuisine to cook.

In every kitchen there are six main sections:

Section 1 is the hot kitchen, the biggest out of all the others. This kitchen is used for hot food only like grilling, boiling, frying, making soups, sauces, etc. Here is where the main cooking gets done and where I usually am stationed.

Section 2 is the cold kitchen, a lot smaller than the hot kitchen as it is only used for things like salad, cold starters, fruit and things like that.

Section 3 is the vegetable preparation area. Here they cut, peel and marinate vegetables so they are ready to cook. This section is very small because it isn't as chaotic as the hot section.

Section 4 is the pastry/ bakery area. Things that need to be baked, like bread, are made here along with every dessert we make. It's bigger than the veggie section, but still not as big as the hot section.

Section 5 is the butchery section. All the meat and fish are kept here, separate from everything else so that there is no cross-contamination. The meat and fish get cut, marinated and stored here in a special fridge. This section scares me as Techno, the butcher looks really terrifying with the animal blood on his clothes and a big knife in his hand. We all know to stay away from him when he's angry.

Section 6 is the larder and it's basically a gigantic fridge and pantry area were all the fresh and cold food go.  

A car beeped at me as I cut it off from turning and mentally cursed myself for not paying attention on the road. Soon I got to the hotel and parked outside the back of the kitchens area. This area was the back of two major businesses, one being the Four Seasons Hotel. It like an alleyway because there was basically nothing here apart from parked cars and trash. It was blocked off from both ends of the street because of thief's  and things like that, so you could only work in one of the buildings to be able to access the alley.

Entering the kitchen I looked to my left at the dishwashing area and smiled when I saw the trainee chefs all goofing about in there. I turned to my right and stepped into the locker room type area where we hung up our things. I put my helmet, my bag and coat into the locker, changed my shoes and walked towards the hot kitchen.

I peered into all the different rooms that I passed, first the cold kitchen, then the bakery area. The vegetable preparation kitchen was opposite the larder and finally the butchery section and the hot kitchen. I waved to Sapnap, my best friend and the chef who does all the roasting of food in the kitchen, before I made my way over to my section and glanced around the room.

My eyes fixed themselves onto the little window on the side of the kitchen.  This window was to the head chef's office, which meant they could look into the hot food section at any time and watch us. The thought didn't scare Me but what did was not knowing who our new head chef was.

I only hoped they were a good leader who wouldn't make a similar mistake to our last head chef.