|18|

I tried to text George, to call him, I even tried email; however, nothing worked. In the end, I just gave up trying to contact him and let him think about things on his own.

The following day, George came into work a little later than he usually would.  He looked exhausted with dark circles rimming his eyes and paler skin than usual. He immediately walked swiftly towards his office while keeping his head down and his gaze on the floor. He looked as though he wanted to be invisible to everyone.

I of course would be the one to ruin this for him.

"George," I called out and briskly walked towards him. He turned his head in my direction but quickly looked away once he met eyes with me. I got to his office at the same time that he did and placed a hand on the door so that he couldn't escape.

"George, can we please talk?" I whispered to him and watched him with a hopeful stare. He glanced up at me and we locked eyes. He seemed nervous to speak to me and even annoyed; which was expected of course.

George sighed and shook his head while also looking away. I felt my heart sink deeper into my chest as the gesture registered in my brain. He didn't even want to speak to me. I had completely ruined everything.

I kept these thoughts circling throughout my mind until George's voice cut through the thick, clouded fog and made sense to me.
"At least, for now, I'd rather we stay work friends. I don't want to speak with you about anything that happened yesterday, please." He told me before going into his office.

I didn't stop him at all to gather a better answer out of him, so I let him be and moved on from the moment.

I was at least happy that he didn't tell me to ' leave him alone forever ' or to 'fuck off Dream you've ruined my life'. This was a good compromise that I could deal with.

As I entered the hot kitchen I heard the ominous sound of laughter and banter coming from my friends. Sapnap was bent over laughing while Quackity and Karl continued with the jokes made towards an annoyed-looking Punz. Nobody noticed me entering the kitchen until I stood behind them all.

Sapnap noticed me first. The smile that was once on his face disappeared and was replaced by a look of anxiousness. He tried and failed to cover it up with a nervous chuckle, but everyone else had already turned around by the time he did this. 

I didn't look at Karl or Punz and focused myself on Quackity and the timid look on his face. I could tell he was trying to read my face but he wasn't getting much from it which made him even more anxious for what was to come.

"Quackity, could we speak in private?" I asked and watched as he cleared his throat nervously.
"Yeah, sure man." He said before we headed outside.

The weather today in Florida was shit. It was cold, rainy and worst of all cloudy. It was rarely like this here, unless it was stormy, but even then we rarely got much rain.

The door opened with a creak that was followed by a large bang when it closed. We looked at each other for a minute, both waiting for the other to begin. I wasn't sure what I wanted Quackity to say to me, maybe an apology would be nice, but in reality, I was trying to find the right words to start this conversation.

After a minute Quackity scoffed and took out a cigarette packet and a lighter from his pocket. I watched him curiously as he took out a cigarette and lit it skillfully before bringing it to his lips and taking a puff. The grey air that escaped his nose was the harsh reality slap that forced me to make conversation.

"You know smoking kills, right?" I said and watched as he rolled his eyes.
"Your one of those people then, huh? I get it, smoking is shit but seriously just let me do this." He responded as he inhaled another breath of the toxic gas.

"Do they know you do this?" I gestured to the building as I spoke, hinting at our friends.
"Nope. Only Punz knows I smoke proper cigarettes. The rest think it's only weed at parties."

We stayed silent for a few minutes longer as Quackity finished his cig and I tried to figure out what to say.
"So.. about yesterday." I started.
"Dream, I'm sorry dude. I didn't think you and George actually had any chemistry between the two of you. What I said was stupid." Quackity said as he threw the cigarette butt to the floor and stubbed it out with his shoe. "I would take back what I said if I could, you know that, right?" He asked me with careful eyes.

I sighed and looked down at the wet concrete floor.
"Dream, I got your upset but seriously was he even that important to you-"
"Yes. Yes, he was important to me and you really fucked everything we ever had." I said frustrated and glared at him. He seemed shocked by my response and stayed silent.

"Listen, Quackity, you don't get what I and George have. No one does, not even he or I. We were just testing the waters when you wrecked it all. And I get it's not your fault but... you really need to stop getting angry at George." I told him as he rolled his eyes at me and scoffed.

"I'm serious Q, George knows what he's doing. He's told me about his time in France where he trained as a chef, not to mention the time he spent in Italy as well. George isn't a stupid idiot with money, if he was he wouldn't be working here."
Quackity chuckled at my joke before nodding.

"Fine then. I won't purposely try to get into arguments with your boyfriend then." He smirked as he spoke.
"He's not my boyfriend!" I shouted at him, only causing waves of laughter to erupt from him.
"You can't tell me you two haven't fucked yet, you literally can not." He said between laughs.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled too until we both were done laughing.
"One last thing Quackity, do you think you could apologise to George? I know he would appreciate it a lot and it really won't take up too much time or anything-"
"I'll do it Dream," Quackity said with a smile before entering the building.

Quackity came out a while later and seemed relieved. George also came out a while later and did a few orders however he didn't say anything to anyone. He seemed at ease, though, so I let him be. After thirty minutes or so George had to leave to tend to something outside of the kitchen meaning that I had no time to talk to him during my shift.

After my shift, I did manage to visit his office where I saw him sitting in his chair looking at a few papers and letters. Once he heard someone walk in he looked up from the papers; his eyes widened once he noticed it was me, but he said nothing at all.

He took off his glasses, which I adored, and sat up impossibly straighter than before.
"Dream." The way he said my name made my heart bounce with excitement and I felt myself bite back a smile.
"George," I said and sat down on a spare chair.

"Let me explain first before you decide anything, okay?" I told him and he nodded.
"The dare was something created by a few of us when we went to a party. There was drinking involved but in the end, we played a few games. I was dared in one of these games to flirt with you for a few months, this was two weeks or more ago.

"Before then I didn't care for you the same way I do now, and I know it sounds crazy but I seriously do care for you. I think you are an amazing person and I would love for us to have something together, like a relationship, but it seems my plan was cut short.

"I think Quackity talked to you about this earlier today but he didn't mean to say what he said, it was a heat of the moment type thing. And he also wouldn't have said it if he knew that we were so close to having a proper relationship-"

"I have to stop you right there Dream," George said and I felt myself freeze up and tense in my chair.
"You... you've said a lot.  And... I don't know how to feel about it all." He leaned back in his chair and looked into the distance for a while.
"You say that we were close to having a proper relationship, and for the most, I agree, but I need time Dream. This is all too much in such a short amount of time, just... let me breathe for a second. Keep things professional for once, and stop this stupid fucking dare." George finished.

I smiled once he was done and chuckled a bit out of joy.
"George, the dare ended so long ago in my mind.
I meant all of what I said for the last two weeks.
I promise from the bottom of my heart."