Chapter One

Ryan Ross wrestled in bed with a wrinkled, green quilt.

A tall, black figure entered the house and crept into the room and a ghostly, white figure followed it.

The white house in Aurora, Illinois settled like a decaying tree. The refrigerator squeaked and the washing machine in the basement leaked. Peeling paint flaked on the walls and a draft seeped through the windows. The heater vibrated with a buzz.

Ryan saw the black figure standing at the foot of his bed and gulped. It disappeared and he covered his head with the quilt, falling asleep. The white figure hovered over him.

---

The clock radio beeped the alarm on the bedside table. Ryan switched it to a radio station and it played a Hard Rock song. He saw the white figure over him and gasped. It vanished.

His mom, Miss Aldridge slept, facing the wall with the sheet at her neck and the bedroom door ajar. Ryan rushed in the room and she turned around. Her pupils widened and her mouth twisted gravely. Ryan stepped back. Then she disappeared and he ran out, closing the door fast.

"Ryan, lower your radio, please," called Miss Aldridge from the kitchen.

Ryan slammed the bathroom door.

Grace knocked abruptly and he opened it. Blonde hair grew in a curly mess on her head and she fussed with it, holding a towel. She peered at him grumpily and he skipped out.

He went in his room cautiously, but nothing showed itself.

---

At the kitchen table, Ryan picked at his fried eggs and toast and Grace stirred her hot cereal.

"Are you sure you don't want your dad to bring you to school today?" asked Miss Aldridge. "He'll be here soon."

"No," said Ryan flatly.

"You know you hate the bus."

"I don't," he grumbled.

"Your dad's trying to help you."

"I don't care."

"I'd take the ride if I were you," she said.

"Mom . . . I saw a black thing last night and a ghost - "

"Where?"

"In my room - I went in your room. Something looked like you and had weird eyes and a gross mouth and - "

"You went in my room?"

"I just wanted - "

"You don't belong in there."

"I know. I - "

"Ryan, you have to respect the rules. I don't know what you saw, but I'll talk to your dad about it."

"What's he going to do?"

"Bless the house - I have white sage in the oven cabinet."

"Is something evil here?"

"I don't know."

"What does it want?"

"To frighten us - that's all."

---

Ryan closed the front door and a large, school bus headed down the street. His dad, Mr. Ross parked his silver sedan at the sidewalk. Grace got in and he lowered the passenger window.

"Hop in, Ryan!" he called.

Ryan shook his head and rushed to the bus. The old driver stopped suddenly and opened the door.