Chapter Three

Ryan took the hardcover book titled, The Proprietaries written by Eljorian, League of Angelkins from the bottom shelf in the last bookcase apprehensively. The book had no sticker on it and he handed it to the clerk.

"I don't think this book belongs here," she said, opening the cover. "We didn't stamp it."

"It should," said the second clerk. "Check on-line."

"Alright," she said, turning her smartphone on.

The man with stylish, red hair wore a tan, sports jacket, a white shirt and jeans. He stood beside Ryan and adjusted his sunglasses.

"Hi, again," said the second clerk. "Do you need help with something else?"

"No, thank you," he said cordially and stared at Ryan steadily.

"I'm sorry, dear," said the clerk, lifting her phone screen into view. "This book is full price. It must've got misplaced somehow. I can sell it to you half-off."

"I don't have enough money for that price either," said Ryan.

"Sorry about that," she said.

The man spoke. "Here, for the book and a donation." He placed a big bill on the table and disappeared out the front door.

"Thank you," called the clerk. "You can take it," she said, stuffing the bill in the register.

"That was nice of him," said the second clerk and Ryan watched him get into a red, sports car.

"Do you know that man?" asked Ryan.

"No," said the clerk.

"He looks familiar," said the second clerk.

"There's something about him," she said.

"Yeah . . . something," she replied with a gaze.

---

After school, Mr. Ross found Ryan fast.

"Get in the car," he snapped. "I got you first this time. No bus for you."

Ryan sat in the back seat and Mr. Ross peeled out of the parking lot.

"Did you go to the book drive?"

"Yeah," said Ryan.

"Find anything?"

"One thing."

"Good. See . . . your old man's down with the kids."

He pulled into the circular driveway at Londwell High and Grace approached the car.

---

In his bedroom, Ryan opened, The Proprietaries at his desk.

The introductory page warned the reader about lucifedors or people who send out an obedient entity called a "proprietary" that possesses or "owns" its victim. Some victims suffer the wrath of up to three proprietaries.

Ryan blinked frightfully.

The first thirteen chapters described the thirteen proprietaries. Chapter fourteen offered explanations and an artist drew colorful sketches of each one in chapter fifteen along with sketches of protection objects. Chapter sixteen revealed something else.

Ryan read chapter one:

A lucifedor capable of murder can send anyone a mimlock that possesses its victim to see illusions, making something kill the victim.

Examples of real-life testimonials followed and Ryan gulped. Something did that to him and he checked the sketches quickly. Then he flipped to chapter seven: