Chapter Fourteen

Ryan woke up tiredly and went in the kitchen.

"Shawn's picking me and Grace up pretty soon," said Miss Aldridge. "Melody Bistro is open today for breakfast. Do you want to go?"

---

Ryan threw his clothes on fast and smoothed his red hair down with his hand.

A painted mural of music notes, microphones and coffee cups covered the walls of a wide building on the other side of town. A sign above the front door said "Melody Bistro".

Ryan and Shawn sat at a small table in the corner. Miss Aldridge and Grace stood at the counter, reading a list of items and special drinks written in chalk on the board overhead.

A brown, leather couch and leather chairs filled the area in front of a small stage with a microphone stand on it. A light shined above it and a banner on the wall behind it said "Singers Drink Free".

Several business cards, flyers and index cards covered a message board on the wall beside the stage. A small table crowded with hardcover books leaned against the wall there.

Grace brought hot coffees to the table. Miss Aldridge carried a big bag of hot sandwiches and sat down.

"Thanks for breakfast, Mom," said Grace, sipping her coffee.

"Thanks, Miss Aldridge," said Shawn.

"Thanks, Mom. Happy Thanksgiving," said Ryan, shaking a ketchup bottle over his steak sandwich and hash browns. A giant blob plopped on the steamy goodness and he grinned.

"You always drown your food, Ryan," said Miss Aldridge.

"Food doesn't swim, Mom."

"It will in that," she said.

Ryan stuffed the sandwich in his mouth and slobbered ketchup on his face.

"Get a napkin," said Miss Aldridge.

Ryan wiped his mouth. "How did you find this place, Shawn?"

"I used to work here," he said. "I like the food and the prices."

Ryan chomped another bite. "Mmm, it's good. What's the stage for?"

"Singing," he said.

"You can sing a Karaoke song for a free drink," said Grace.

"Anyone can?" he asked.

"Yeah, anyone twelve and over, but you have to sing the whole song," said Shawn.

"That's pretty scary," said Ryan.

"I know," said Grace. "I can't."

"You don't have to sound perfect," said Shawn.

Ryan stared at the stage curiously.

---

"Ryan, be a dear and toss this bag out," said Miss Aldridge.

Ryan walked to the condiment station near the counter. He dropped the bag through the hole on top and it landed in the trash barrel beneath it.

Ryan saw a vision in color in his mind of Shantel lying on a sidewalk in a puddle of blood and he shivered.

"Mom, can Shawn stop at Gimbals on the way back?" he asked.

"Why do you want to go there?" she asked.

"I need money to buy Shantel a Thanksgiving card."

"Okay, I'll go with you," she said.

---