Chapter Twenty-One

"I've seen that man before," whispered Ryan.

"So have I," said Shantel with a grin.

"Do you know who he is?"

"I'm pretty sure, but I can't tell you now," she said.

"Well, Ray," said the man. "Thanks for the call. I've been looking for new music and I really like what I'm hearing from Fortune Five."

"That's what they need," said Ray. "After the album's released, they'll be at Fhur Room promoting it. The attention will put us on the map. It's good for them and the casino."

Sigourney found Aaron on the balcony with a view of the city, drinking from a beer bottle with his arm around the waist of a young woman with blonde hair in a short, black dress. She eyed Sigourney irritably.

"Hi, Aaron," said Sigourney. "Thanks for inviting me and Shantel. We brought Shawn, Grace and her brother, Ryan. I hope you don't mind."

"I don't care," he said. "This is Megan."

"Hi," said Megan, licking her glossy lips.

"Can you grab me a beer real quick, honey?" he asked.

"Sure," she said, strutting away with her black heels, clicking on the floor.

"How did Shantel do tonight?" asked Aaron.

"You have to ask her," said Sigourney.

"Fine," said Shantel quietly.

"Did you talk to my dad? He knows a lot of managers."

"I'm not ready," said Shantel. "I want my own band first."

"Then you need to come to the studio. A lot of musicians post notes there."

"I want to make a good demo," she said.

"You have to record one professionally, but it's expensive unless you invest in a home studio."

Megan passed Shantel and leaned on Aaron, holding a beer bottle.

"I'm looking into it," said Shantel.

"I thought your song sounded good. It just needs to be recorded better. I left the CD in the bedroom on the nightstand if you want to get it."

"Does it need anything else?" she asked.

"More lyrics - that's it." Megan smiled at Shantel sweetly and Aaron took a swig from the bottle.

"Thanks," she said.

"Good luck, kid," said Aaron with a smile.

Shantel headed into the bedroom and Ryan followed her.

Shiny, mahogany headboards protected two king-size beds covered with red quilts with a nightstand in-between.

A CD in a plastic case titled "'Foolish Doubt' by Shantel Everhart" laid beside a giant lamp and Shantel sat on the bed, looking at it. Ryan sat beside her.

Sigourney talked to Dillion on the couch and Shawn and Grace sat at the bar.

"Why did you change your last name?" asked Ryan.

"I want a little privacy, I guess."

"Is that man a famous manager?"

"No. He's a famous producer."

"That's cool," said Ryan.

"Yeah," said Shantel.

Aaron walked to the TV and grabbed the remote, shutting it off.