Chapter Ten

Sloan sang "Your Blood" clearly, sounding almost like Hunter Wilson, lead singer of the Pop Rock band, Sinquest. He finished with a high note and Ryan breathed out heavily, like his lungs deflated.

Everyone cheered and Sloan smiled widely. Troy clapped lightly.

"We got ourselves a Rockstar," said Mr. Mui and Sloan went into the kitchen with a grin. Jessica followed him excitedly.

"He's really good," said Shantel and from his choice of songs, Ryan believed he banished the phantic.

---

Mr. Ross pulled up to the house and blared the horn. Ryan said "bye" to Shantel hastily and swiped the last candied apple off a large dish in the kitchen. He ran to the car with it and Mr. Ross smiled from ear to ear.

---

Ryan sat on Sloan's bed in his room at his house with the CD, Avalonia by Dar Tenian.

"I did what again?" asked Sloan.

"You banished the phantic on me," said Ryan.

"You mean that thing that followed you home?"

"Yes. You need to check out this website."

Sloan turned his tablet on and typed in www.eljorian.org. He read the home page quickly.

"I'm some sort of . . . angel? I don't get it."

"Just take the questionnaire," said Ryan.

"Did you?"

"Yes," said Ryan.

"And?"

"I'm in the Ergbear Phylum, but I can't sing."

"You want to?"

"Yeah."

Sloan completed the questionnaire and hit "Questionnaire Results". A window opened, placing him in the Okehawk Phylum.

"Okehawk - I knew it," said Ryan.

Sloan read about it.

"I'm like a hawk that uses fire," said Sloan. "That's cool."

"Do you want to join?" asked Ryan.

"You mean . . . audition?"

"Yes."

He clicked on "Rules To Join" and read it . "We don't have to accept employment if we audition."

"You can do the rituals," said Ryan.

"Yeah, but I want a job. I mean . . . I could use the money. I wonder how much they pay."

"I know you can do it," said Ryan. "Do you think I can?"

"If you try. Adam Dar Tenian's in a class by himself. Are you sure you want to learn 'Clocker'?"

"It's the song I like."

Sloan played the song on a CD player. "Sing 'Clocker' right now."

Ryan hesitated and sang awkwardly. Sloan listened, squinting in-between.

"Stop listening to yourself," he said. "You're singing too low and your voice squeaks when you go high. Do it again."

Ryan sang "Clocker" again.

"When you get to 'In your face', you have to aim your air at your ears," said Sloan.

Ryan sang it again.

"You need to take a deep breath in-between."

Ryan tried again.

"Better, but you have to sing it over and over until your mind stops thinking about it."