Chapter Twenty-Five

The door bell rang and Miss Aldridge opened the front door. Shantel and Sigourney stood in the driveway.

"Hi, is Ryan home?" asked Shantel.

"Yes, you must be Shantel and this is?"

"Hi, I'm Sigourney, her sister."

"Hi, come in. Sit down. Ryan's almost ready."

They sat on the couch in the living room.

"Ryan's father tells me you're taking him to Open Mic Night at a place in Chicago?"

"Yes, Delilah's," said Sigourney. "Shantel's performing there tonight."

"Do you have to write your own material?"

"Yes, or you can't perform," said Shantel.

"Writing your own material, that's impressive," said Miss Aldridge.

"Thank you," said Shantel.

Ryan rushed in. "Sorry, I'm ready."

"Here," said Miss Aldridge, handing him some money. "In case you want a drink or something to eat. You can't expect Ms. Wentworth to pay for everything."

"She doesn't mind," said Shantel. "But she's not going."

"Oh, okay. But I mind," said Miss Aldridge. "It's my treat. Have a good time."

---

Sigourney parked on the street near Delilah's and Skyler hopped out of the front seat. Ryan walked beside Shantel.

"Do you think Mick Lyons will be here tonight?" asked Sigourney.

"I hope so . . . and he might bring a buddy or two," said Shantel.

"We'll see," said Skyler.

They sat at a table across from an electric fireplace. An enormous wreath decorated with gold ornaments and red ribbons hanged above it.

Troy sat at the long bar in a swinging stool, facing the stage.

"I'd knew he'd be here," said Shantel. "And he brought Chase."

Chase limped to the bar stool near him, struggling with it. A young couple holding hands walked in and sat at the table beside them. Mrs. Sullivan talked to them gleefully.

Two men wearing dark-gray, newsboy hats and eyeglasses sat at the bar close to the stage and a young woman wearing a green apron approached them.

Mrs. Sullivan jumped on stage, holding a microphone.

"Happy Holidays, everyone. We have a lot of talent here tonight and I can't wait to introduce our first singer, songwriter. Here's Gigi Foster from Rockford, singing 'New boyfriend'."

The crowd applauded and a teen girl with black hair walked on stage with a light-blue, electric guitar. Mrs. Sullivan adjusted the microphone stand downward and hurried off.

Gigi sang the Pop Rock song well playing the guitar chords and Ryan headed to the counter. Chase called him to the bar with his hand.

"Hi, Ryan," said Chase. "You singing tonight?"

"No, I haven't written a song yet."

"Oh," said Chase and Troy lowered his head.

"What can I get you?" asked the young woman in the green apron.

"Two medium, hot, peppermint, mocha lattes," said Ryan.

---

He brought the drinks to the table and sat down, giving one to Shantel.

Sing Today Die TomorrowOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara