Chapter Six

Ryan sat on the tan couch in the living room anxiously and Miss Aldridge walked in. "Go rest. I'm going to work. Grace will make dinner later."

"Mom, I need the cologne for the phantic. I just saw it."

"If you asked me for it, I'd give you it, but you didn't. You have to pay the consequences for this behavior, Ryan," she said peevishly.

"Mom, the phantic made me do it. I need the cologne bad."

"No. Rules are rules."

"I won't do it again. I'll do extra chores."

"No."

She went outside and locked the front door.

Ryan dropped on his bed and stuffed his face into the pillow. Then he searched his pocket. The nurse left the piece of chalk in it still and he put it on the bedside table.

He sat at his desk and turned on his tablet. He went to www.eljorian.org and clicked "Rules to Join":

Angelkins need to know how to sing a song in one of the styles of music from their phylum or in the case of acebees, dance to join our organization.

Ryan shook his head and read:

To set up an audition, the angelkin will need a parent or guardian present if under the age of eighteen and must be at least thirteen.

At the audition via live video, the counselor will see if the performer is indeed an angelkin. Then the counselor will allow the angelkin to perform and let him or her know if he or she has enough talent to banish a proprietary.

The counselor may request the angelkin sing a different song to make the perfect fit. This doesn't apply to acebees who usually audition once.

After they join, angelkins can banish at least one proprietary in their phylum. Some may be capable of all three proprietaries, but that is rare. Acebees only have to banish one.

Angelkins can perform the angelkin rituals found on the website and access angelkin events, local happenings, and Eljorian Times, the newsletter.

Angelkins do not have to accept employment to join. If an angelkin wants employment, he or she will be hired as a house angelkin and called upon to sing or dance via live video to victims of proprietaries. Compensation will follow.

Counselors have the right to accept or reject certain songs and will be present during appointments.

If you believe a proprietary or proprietaries are attached to you, select "Seek An Angelkin".

Ryan clicked on it.

He typed his name, address, birthday and what he experienced regarding his proprietaries in the on-line form and clicked. A window opened:

Thank you for your information, Ryan. Please select available appointments from the list below for a consultation with a counselor and send it. Then download the messaging application provided. During the consultation, a counselor will identify and determine how many proprietaries are attached to you.

Ryan checked three days and times and hit "Send" and downloaded the app. He read the response window:

Thank you for your selections. A counselor will message you as soon as possible.

Angelkins only banish one proprietary per appointment and the counselor will suggest when another appointment can be made.

---

Ryan sat at the kitchen table with Grace and he ate the watery spaghetti and meatballs hungrily.

"Have you ever met Aunt Marianne?" he asked.