Chapter 1

The Atlantic rushed to meet them. Hannibal gripped the younger man tighter as they fell.  The impact a shock to his system, as the cold water strangled his senses. He struggled, exhausted, to break their heads above water. Everything was moving too fast, his heart beating too slow as he pulled will against his chest while attempting to swim to the rocks.

That's when he was blinded by a spotlight, deafened by the roar of a motor coming towards them.

Hannibal could barely make out the voice as he passed Will to the hands reaching for him, in an attempt to save his own heart as if it beat outside his body, before sinking back into the water.

"No!" Was all he heard before his head dipped beneath the surface once again.

——————————————————————

A warmth spread across Hannibal's body. His back sinking into comfort. He could make out the smell of warmed spices, and fabrics. A monitor beeping to the rhythm of his heart. He attempted to open his eyes, to shift his weight and stretch his limbs. A groan left his throat as the pain shot through every nerve.

"Shh...Don't move, not just yet." A soft voice spoke as the backs of small knuckles traced his cheek. The touch felt as if fire, "You were badly injured, but, thankfully, no broken bones."

It was a woman. He blinked, bringing her features into focus. A halo of light shining at the crown of her head as she leaned over him. Ash ringlets of hair that cascaded over her shoulders. Bright sapphire eyes, watching him carefully. Her skin was close to porcelain, contrasted by the flush of her cheeks. She was tall, looked strong, but breakable at the same time. A new teacup.

"Are you an angel?" He whispered, his voice hoarse. Every muscle fiber in him was tensing uncontrollably.

"I'll have to get back to you on that." She smiled "your friend is doing well. He's been awake a few days. We've been waiting for you." She spoke softly as she slid her fingers beneath his head to lift it. "Take this. A muscle relaxer, a pain killer." Two pills dropped into his mouth followed by sips of water. He sputtered a moment before swallowing.

"Where are we?" He couldn't make out anything, but she was definitely American. He accent muddled by the places she's been, but American nonetheless.

"My home. I promised your friend that I would keep you both safe, and comfortable. Dinner will be ready soon, come when you feel you can move." She smiled again, gently placing his head on the pillow, before stroking his cheek. Her touch made his skin burn. Why?

He watched as she removed his IVs, as well as the pieces of the monitors she had on him. She knew what she was doing. Had an almost expert skill. She was a doctor, as well? A vet? No, a nurse?

The door clicked silently as she left. His body relaxing back into the bed, the pain in his nerves ebbing away as his eyes became heavy.

—————————————————————
His limbs moved heavily, his body almost relaxed, close to the same grace as before.   He could smell the flavors being built in the kitchen. Gentle music playing. Could hear the same soft voice as before, followed by the whispered baritone of Wills. Something in his chest ached and ignited all at once as he rounded the corner of the kitchen entrance. Will stood, clean shaven, comfortably dressed, relaxed in the presence of the woman who saved them.

The kitchen was quite large compared to what used to be his own. Walls a soft green with simple white trim. A large window above the sink that looked across the yard, the tree line like a horizon in the distance. A pot of blooming flowers on the sill. Pots hung upside down over the large island in the center where the two objects of his interest stood. Four ovens next to a six burner gas stove.  French copper pots and pans hung above the stove on the wall. Cast iron on skillet resting on a back burner. Opposite side of the kitchen was a wall of cabinets, one overly tall one next to eight precisely sized smaller ones lined one over the other, that took up the expanse of the wall.

"Well, I'm sure we can hold some...impromptu cooking classes. I can teach you some of the easier recipes I use, and go from there." She smiled brightly at him.

The cascade of ashen curls were pulled into a loose ponytail, small strands of hair framing her soft features beautifully. Her cheeks were no longer flushed, but Hannibal couldn't help to notice how rosy her lips were. She wore no makeup, and seemed fully comfortable, relaxed, next to Will. A loose baby blue button up, sleeves rolled to the elbows, the first few buttons undone to reveal her her chest. A sterile looking white apron tied neatly around her waist. Her hands were slim, delicate.

Small scars in various places from burns and cuts. Her knuckles were pink, slightly bruised. A recent fight?

He felt a creeping possessiveness in his chest. No. Protectiveness.

"Then we can do...couples therapy." Will joked, a nervous laugh leaving him as he made eye contact with Hannibal.

She glanced up from her work, brushing melted butter on browned pastry, giving a soft smile to Hannibal in the doorway before returning to sprinkle salt. "Only if he's amicable."

"I don't believe I caught your name." Hannibal spoke up, as he took a seat at the marble island across from her.

"Perse."

Clearly a nickname.

"Like Perseus?" He wanted so desperately for her to look him in the eye.

"Like Persephone."

A smile pulled at the corners of his mouth "the goddess of spring." He mused, glancing at the fresh herb garden suspended from the ceiling, the window pots of fresh flowers.

"No." She granted Hannibal's desperation, hazel meeting sapphire, like the ocean meeting the shore "The goddess of chaos and destruction." A playful look crossing her face before moving to place a ramekin and spoon in front of both men.

"Eat slowly. Small portions. You've been unconscious for three weeks." She added, gently rubbing Hannibal's back with her fingertips before retreating to wash the dishes. Will gave Hannibal a knowing smile. The thin fabric of his shirt did nothing to stop the flame that lit under the touch of such gentle hand. Her sweetness and perfume made him believe in fairytales in a brief moment. Beauty falling for the Beast.

Will looked comforted and smitten, to say the least, he observed. Three weeks of being alone with her while he lay in bed, near perpetual sleep. How often she touched him. How he found comfort in her, the soft way she spoke. The gentle way she looked at him, gently chided, and strongly encouraged him. He wondered, for a moment, what it would take for her to see Hannibal the same way Will saw him. If she would care for him, she same way she cared for Will.

"Persephone may actually put your cooking to shame, Hannibal." Will smirked, his cheek clearly full of the meal as he chewed. Hannibal stared down at the home cooked meal In front of him. The pastry crisp as he pierced it with the spoon, exposing the luscious soup beneath. One small bite, and his chest felt warm. Chicken, mirepoix, stock, lemon, cream, spices, butter, salt. Warm, crisp, comfort. He couldn't help but continue eating as his mind wandered, finally unaware of its surroundings.

He felt comfortable. Safe. Just as she said.

Was she giving him blind trust? She didn't fear him killing her after he woke.

He never noticed when she stepped beside him, fingertips gently grazing the nape of his neck, the burn increasing as they brushed his hair from his eyes. His body ached in protest, but the heat pooled to his lower belly. She pressed her lips to his temple, and Hannibal knew combustion was imminent.

She leaned in, sweet breath against his ear as she whispered "eat as much as you can, I'll draw you a bath. I'll help you get cleaned up." Another kiss on his temple, and she disappeared.  Will gave a small chuckle as he watched blood flush Hannibal's cheeks.

His mind and body screamed. Hannibal decided Persephone would be full of surprises