Chapter 7

"Do you like trying to catch me, Doctor Lecter?" Persephone shouted over her shoulder. A makeshift yoke with four buckets over the width of her shoulders. He noted how the two closer to her body were full of meat scraps, the two farther full of unusable vegetables. Her knuckles were becoming white as she gripped the wood.

"In a sense." They were coming upon the livestock housings. "You walk rather fast, even when weighed down."

"Years of experience." She stated, her breath even as she knelt down. The bar dropping down the length of her back as she stepped out from under it.

"How long have you lived here?" He watched as she pulled the yoke from the bucket handles and propped it against a fence. She gave him a rather blank look before picking up the buckets with meat.

"Long enough to be 'self sufficient' as you say." The lock to the pig fence was at the base. She kicked it open, and it locked behind her automatically as she pushed her way in.

"You didn't deny being in Maryland. Did you happen to visit Virginia, as well?" He slipped his hands into his pocket, if only to stop his fingers from twitching against his thighs.

"I was there. I was looking for someone." She said flatly, shaking the buckets into the pig trough. "Hand me a bucket" She tossed the empty two over the fence before sticking a hand out.

"Who were you looking for?" The bucket was heavier than expected. He noticed pastries tumbling out with corn husks and half rotten tomatoes. She pulled a pin to a separate gate that separated the wooded roaming and feeding areas, four pigs squeezing past each other to get to the trough. She propped the gate open with a large rock before returning her gaze to Hannibal.

"The Chesapeake Ripper." She gave him another almost blank stare as she tossed the bucket before hopping over the fence.

"Why were you looking for me?" He shifted his weight slightly, turning his body to follow her position. She had gathered the last bucket, and was pushing her way into the cow pen a few feet away. She let out a harsh whistle before dumping the bucket into a reused bathtub made cow feeder.

"Curiosity." She hopped over the cattle fence. "Do you always sleep with people before psychoanalyzing them, or am I special?" She was clearly irate, roughly grabbing the buckets and yoke before starting back towards the house.

"You weren't afraid I may kill you?" He asked, trying to keep pace with the angering woman a few steps ahead of him.

"I'm more than capable of handling you, Doctor Lecter." She announced boldly.

"Of that, I'm doubtful." A half laugh leaving him. "I've killed men larger than you." He could see Will and the puppies in the grass just in front of the porch. "You are spe-" the thought ended by his feet being swept out from under him, pain exploding in his left knee.

The wind left his chest, the muscles in his back spasmed. He looked up to see Persephone had dropped the buckets, the yoke tightly gripped in both hands.

"A cheap shot, my dear." He groaned

"You're mocking me." Her head was cocked to the side, her expression was apathetic but he could see the anger behind her eyes.

"A mistake I do not plan to make again. I apologize if my previous statements upset you."

"Get up." She stuck out a hand, gripping his forearm to hoist him to his feet. "Stay here, I'll be back."

He and Will stared at each other for a moment as she stalked off to the house. The other man still held an expression of surprise. Hannibal rubbed his neck, the muscles between his shoulders twitching. He bent his knee a few times, shaking the fresh ache. She was definitely a lot stronger than she looked.