Chapter 10

Will had done everything Persephone asked of him. All the needed ingredients were prepped, even the palm leaves. He had moved Bedelias barely conscious body to the work table, restraining her wrists and ankles to the table legs. He sat patiently waiting for Persephone and Hannibal to return, the door to the workroom still open to hear Bedelia scream if she woke before they came.

The possibilities of what was coming fluttering behind his eyes, vivid images of watching Hannibal break down Bedelia the same way he broke down Persephone's ex husband. Each joint was expertly disconnected, the grotesque noises as they popped out of place. Will didn't expect the noise that came from removing skin, the sounds of near silent slicing and tearing as Hannibal used a filet knife to peel the skin cleanly from the meat. The whirring of the saw as Hannibal showed him exactly how to break down bone in cuts. He tried to focus on the warmth, the feeling of Hannibal pressed against his back, hands guiding Wills as he pushed what used to be Aaron Noel into the rapidly moving blade.

His thoughts floated back to her. Persephone made a point to keep Bedelia barely on the edge of consciousness, not awake enough to fight, but not so far gone as to worry about her body shutting down. She showed him how to sedate her if she woke up, warning him she may be panicked and violent. He imagined Bedelia, mostly sedated as Hannibal showed him how to break down the body, leaving something akin to Abel Gideon. Perfectly bandaged stumps and IVs and antibiotics and oxygen masks and rhythmical beeping. His head felt like it was going to explode.

"She can't die just yet." Persephone's voice whispered, breath warm and sweet against the left side of his neck.

"She needs to have a proper dinner." Hannibal mimicked Persephones tone, his breath on the right side, colder than ice.

He could feel their hands on him, Persephone's warm and gentle and firmly pressed just over his heart. Hannibal's felt harsh and cold and dark with nails biting his skin as fingers gripped Wills throat. They each pressed a kiss to his cheek, his body shuddering at the intimacy. His senses felt like they were being ripped in half.

He wanted so badly to cling to the warmth, lean into its embrace, only for the darkness to call him, seducing him to follow.

A soft hand was on his cheek, a thumb wiping a tear away. He hadn't known he'd started crying. His eyes fluttered open to meet Persephone's, a look of concern and cheeks flushed pink. He could see Hannibal just behind her, his face was neutral but Will could see the similar concerns in his eyes.

Only difference between the two, Will thought, was Perse was concerned for his well-being, Hannibal was concerned he'd leave him again.

"Where did you go?" She asked, her voice gentle.

"To past transgressions." Will said, his voice shaking, his eyes fixed on Hannibal's. "How's the baby?"

She smiled, reaching into her purse to hand Will the photos from the ultrasound. His fingertips traced the shape gently as Persephone stepped behind him to hug him. Her arms wrapped around his waist, chin rested on his shoulder. "Perfectly healthy. We'll find out the gender in a few days." She moved to press a kiss to his cheek, just in front of his ear "it all works out" she whispered.

Realization dawned on him in a similar fashion as it had that day with Margot in Hannibal's office. The same way it had the day Persephone brought home the dogs. She wasn't willing to use him the way Hannibal and Margot had. She was, however, using Hannibal to an extent. The tables were turning, and she was careful not to get caught up in the details.

Unless Hannibal already knew and was a willing participant. Will looked up at the older man. There was a smile Hannibal was trying hard to conceal.