Chapter 12

It had been surprisingly peaceful over the last few weeks. Bedelia was still attached to medical equipment in the basement, despite Will asking for this particular show to not be drug out. Hannibal shrugged him off daily. "She's healthy, just missing some pieces."

Perse had made a point to avoid her cold storage until Bedelia was gone. The one time she had made her way down out of curiosity, Bedelia had tried to 'reason' with her.

"We both know these are dangerous men. Help me, and i will tell the authorities you were never given a choice. You were manipulated, and in fear for your life. Call Jack Crawford." Her voice was frantic. Both women were immediately surprised whenever Hannibal had entered the room.

'Thats enough, Bedelia. I would never pose harm to the mother of my child" He stated in an overly sweet tone, a hand snaking around Persephones waist.

Bedelia looked as if she was going to rip Perse's head off, and vomit in the same expression. This was apparently the reaction Hannibal had wanted, given he placed a kissed on Persephones temple, smiled, and escorted her back up to the kitchen.

She'd retreated to the garden after that. The pruning kept her hands busy, and cooking afterwards to take her mind off of things. A part of her wanted to question him about their relationship, the rational part knew the truth just from Bedelias expression. It was best to stay away until Hannibal was through with his game.

The nights Hannibal spent in the cold storage with Bedelia, Will did his best to distract her. The warmth from his body, and the fact he let her use him as a human body pillow, gave her comfort. He was there when she fell asleep, and would jostle her awake when it was time for him to finally do chores. He always kissed her forehead when she complained, and said he would be back after a shower.

She couldn't remember the last time Hannibal had been in the bed with her. The last couple weeks, he had stayed downstairs well past when she fell asleep, and would be in 'his room' when she woke to search for him.

Hannibal had left in the evening to sell produce and aged meats at the market two towns over, stating he would be gone for a couple days in a note left on the counter.

Persephone felt overly emotional at not being able to tell him good bye. Will had tried his best to comfort her. His last resort was all but forcing her to go to bed for the night. She protested until he had pulled her onto his lap as he sat on the edge of the bed, arms gently wrapped around her "You need to rest. Stress is not good for either of you. Sleep, we can call him later."

Persephone nodded, wiping her eyes with her hands before crawling into the center of the bed. Will kicked his jeans off before laying next to her. Her limbs tangled around his, but what caught him off guard was when she grabbed his face, forcing him to look at her. She didn't say anything. Her face was pale, and yet her eyes were a fresh shade of pink from crying. His fingertips traced over the skin of her cheek, wiping a tear away with the pad of his thumb. His fingers slipped into the hair at the nape of her neck unconsciously. She really was beautiful. The last time he felt anything this strong was when he was married. A pleasant feeling compared to the war of emotions he had toward his friend. She closed her eyes as his forehead rested against hers. He wanted to comfort her. He wanted her to be happy, especially if that was the only thing he could give her in return for all she's done for them.

A vindictive thought crossed his mind, albeit for only a moment. What would happen if he kissed her now? If he loved her gently, easing her into her own pleasure before taking his own? Hannibal had taken so much from him. Had destroyed everything around them, everywhere they went, and was selfish in all aspect of his chaos. He wanted Will for himself and now he was granted that luxury. He wanted to devour what he could of Persephone now. Will reasoned with himself that he could try to in her heart. Steal her away from Hannibal. Take everything from him. A kind of karmic justice he could deliver himself for all those years of desolation.