Chapter 3

The living room was spacious, yet smaller than the kitchen. Pale grey walls, a similar simple white trim. The same dark hardwood.  A oversized television mounted to the wall,  a ladder of blankets on either side, several feet from the storm colored couch facing it. A matching love seat which faced the stone faced a dimming fireplace. An oak coffee table, centered, three scented candles lit. They smelled of candied apples and spices. Despite the large halo light fixture hanging from the center of the ceiling, the only light came from the flickering candles and dying charcoals of the fire.

Will laid across the couch, his head on Persephones lap, her fingers playing lazily in his curls, while the other arm was draped over his chest. She had provided him comfortable pajamas. Flannel pants and a t shirt. He seemed content. Peaceful. As if the last few years never happened.

Maybe it was just the empathy disorder at play. Perse was gentle, caring...sweet. He could simply be feeding off of her, and in turn, healing him.

She was relaxed, eyes closed, breath even, head resting against the back of the couch. A movie Hannibal had never cared to watch before playing on the television. A young man clad in black fighting a giant.

"I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake, but in the meantime, rest well, and dream of large women." The man in black spoke once the giant fell.

A soft snort came from the woman Hannibal realized he'd been staring at. Her head turned slightly in his direction "Are you going to stand there all night, or would you like to finish the movie?"

He padded his way to the loveseat, watching her carefully. Her eyes never opened. "How did you know I was standing there?"

"I can feel you, especially when you stare."

A small hum came from Hannibal, his body sinking into the plush loveseat. His muscles protested more aggressively than before prompting him to stiffen.

"It's not polite to stare, Hannibal. Some may even say it's down right rude." She jested, one eyelid peeking open to look at him. "Your body is still badly bruised. Mostly mottled shades of blue and yellow, but still bruised."

"Will had been keeping track of my healing?" His eyes flickered to the young man softly snoring on her lap.

"No. I have. Will was afraid you'd wake up and try to kill him for the fall." She sighed, lifting her head to look directly at Hannibal. "We need to discuss my rules before you go to bed."

Hannibal's body stiffened a fraction more. He was going to be caged.

Trapped.

No.

Not again.

He pressed his fists into his thighs.

"Rule one." She began "No...kabuki...while you're living here. Draws too much attention, and I don't like police on my property."

"...excuse me?" He was startled to say the least.

"If you find your theatrics are necessary, there's a field out back. We're on forty acres. Just make sure you clean it up."

She knew he liked to display his work. Will really did tell her everything.

"Rule two is no killing any of my livestock until I've deemed them ready for slaughter. Rule three is no bringing strangers into my home unless you have a plan that involves filling my cold storage."

"You are a very peculiar woman, Persephone."

"Rule four is do not feed Will anything that isn't...kosher. I promised him that you and I would come to an agreement. I have an assortment of chicken, beef, or lamb ready at any given time. There's also a stream in the woods to the right of the house if you'd rather serve him fish."