Chapter 5

I wake up to the sound of my alarm and instantly remember that today i'm gonna meet Shoyo for the first time. I've never even heard his voice..

"Shit i forgot to pack," I say and immediately get out of bed and start stuffing stuff in my backpack. Then i get ready to school and walk out of the house with a lunch bar in hand.

"Hey Kenma!" I hear Kuroo's voice from behind and turn around.

"G'morning," I say, and we start making our way to school.

.

.

.

The school day went the same as always and is now over. I'm supposed to wait for mom to pick me up so i just sit on a random bench with my gaming console.

Minutes later I spot her car and walk over to it.

"Hi." I say as i sit down on the passenger seat. "Hi! You ready to go?" she asks and i nod. I kind of feel bad how she has to go on the train ride two times, basically 4 hours in total.

Mom turns on a random radio station with a song from 'Arctic Monkeys' playing. She obviously leaves it at that since she loves their songs. The rest of the ride is nice and calm and we finally reach the train station.

"Alright let's continue our journey!" mom says, sounding like she's in some kind of adventure. When we finally enter the train after waiting a bit, i take out my phone and text shoyo.

neko
we're on our way

shoyo
Alrighty! i can't wait!!

neko
yeah

"Who're you texting that's making you smile like that?" I hear mom ask me and get embarrassed.

"I-it's no one," i say not making eye contact.

"Hmm," she says as she gets closer. "You didn't meet Shoyo in middle school, did you?" dammit, i knew she would figure it out.

"I'm not mad don't worry. I just wish you could trust us a little more. The only reason i accepted was so that i could meet the guy that has become a pretty close friend of my son." she says sounding all serious.

"Right. Sorry." I say feeling kind of guilty. So that's why she's coming to meet shoyo with me. sigh

"Cheer up! i'm sure he's a good guy!" Mom says and i nod.

.

.

.

When we arrive, a wave of nervousness hits me, and i can feel that weird warm fuzzy feeling in my stomach. We're actually in Miyagi. Shoyo is probably a few feet from us. We will see each other. What the hell this is happening too fast for my mind to process.

"Kenma are you alright?" Mom asks looking at me, her face showing more confusion than concern.

"Uh yeah. He said he's in the waiting area." i say and my mom nods, leading us there.

Each step we take the harder it is for me to control my heart rate. Why am i so nervous dammit.

Not paying attention, i bump into my mother's back and stumble a little. "Ugh,, sorry. Why'd you stop?" I ask and my eyes widen when i hear another voice.

"Kenmaaa-san!!!"I look up and see a boy, a bit shorter than me with soft orange hair and pretty brown eyes, running towards me and wraps his arms around me.

"huh..?" is the only thing that leaves my mouth as i'm trying to breathe properly.

"Hi Shoyo-kun!" Mom says hugging shoyo, who is hugging me, both of them suffocating me.

"Hi auntie! Nice to meet you!" Shoyo says as he lets go of me and so does mom. "I'm really happy hehe" Shoyo says with the brightest smile i've ever seen.

"Same here! It's a shame i won't be able to meet your mother today though, next time for sure I will when i have time!" mom says, almost reflecting shoyo's smile.

"Haha it's alright, she's also pretty busy." He says and my mom nods. "Well boys, I'll be going now, don't wanna get home too late. Stay safe ok? And kenma you can stay till sunday if you'd like alright?" Shoyo and i nod and wave my mom goodbye. It has become silent but not for too long.

"Do you wanna buy snacks on the way home???" he asks with sparkles in his eyes. I nod and he smiles even more. "Alright then, let's go!"

.

.

.

"Which one do you like more?" Shoyo asks as we eye the snack aisle with obviously, a bunch of snacks.

"I like pocky. Both chocolate and strawberry." I say.

"Oooo pocky is good! Let's take that and some chips then! maybe a few biscuits too hehe" He exclaims excitedly. Normally, i wouldn't be able to deal with such an energetic person, but somehow, Shoyo is different.

"I'll pay." I say when we reach the cashier.

"Eh?!? But i'm the one that suggested we buy snacks?!?" he says.

"It's fine."

"But!-" before he can say anything else i give the cashier the money. "You can keep the change. Let's go Shoyo." i say giving him a small smile, and notice he's pouting, and there's a slight blush on his face.

cute.

wait what.

Now i'm the one with a blush on my face dammit.

"Next time i'm paying for sure!" Shoyo crosses his arms as he walks next to me. "Alright" i say as i notice it's past sunset but not completely dark. I check the time and it's still a few minutes past 6 pm.

"y'know i didn't think you'd actually accept my invitation haha. This was all so unexpected." I hear Shoyo say next to me.

"You surprised me when you said you wanted to meet. i'm not good with people.." I say in a low voice.

"Whaaa but you're so much fun?!? Sure, you're quiet but that's not boring or anything"

"Hm.." is my response as i don't know what else to say.

"Gimme your bag, it's gonna be quite a long walk to my house," Shoyo says and i accept the offer, since my bag isn't that heavy anyways.

"Thanks."

"Sure thing!"