Chapter 1

Grace's piercing blue eyes shun open when the streaming ring to her alarm clock pounded into her eardrums. Her long arm rose out from under the duvet she was cocooned in and turned it to mute. 5 or so minutes later, Grace finally decided on departing from her nest of cushions and comfort to enter an icy cold shower that never seemed to heat up. Grace flinched momentarily after climbing into the tub and jumped straight back out, making her warmed skin grow goose bumps and chattering to her teeth. She opted for sink wash and told herself that she would bathe late in the evening after a stressful day at school.

A quick change to fresh clothes, she ran down the curly staircase and came face to face with Paul looking at her with intense eyes and in disgust for her chosen frock. Paul was supposedly her boyfriend. He appeared to be an attentive and polite man to be welcomed upon which complimented he's look of smart/casual clothing that would be colour coordinated to he's dark hair.

"What are you wearing?" and he walked over to her, grabbing her by the waist. "You know your parents would never allow that."

"It's going to be a hot day." She replied.

"Okay Mrs I-control-the-weather. I don't want you dressed like a corner slut! Understood?" he yelled as an angered vein pops right through he's forehead, looking down at her surrendered innocence.

"It's not even that short!" she whined in defence, and to her abrupt answering back a swat from his palm hit her cheek. Grace gasped in astonishment and began running back up to her room and after about 15 minutes of tearing hung garments onto the floor in a heap from her frustration, she settled for a beige tank top and black skinny jeans.

During the time of her raging wardrobe fiasco, Paul converted to he's sweet and kind act in front of Grace's mother. Her expression gave off confusion when she heard stomping and smashing on the floor above and Paul successfully charmed he's way out of trouble.

"Time of the month." he breathed he's answer before Grace came hurdling down the stairs with her bag pulled over her shoulder and she scrambled out the door.

Paul headed off after her, but before he shut the front door he pulled a see-what-I-mean look to the mother making her leap out with a hysterical giggle.

Paul started to scan the street, and headed for he's Honda and was surprised that she set herself in the back seat folding her arms over her chest and facing away from the window to erase his appearance. He shook his head and slipped in the driver's leather compartment and tilted his head back to look at her frowning face in the rear view mirror.

"Come on darling. Your seat is over here." He said with a gentle tone patting the base of the chair. She looked up and grunted a little. "I tell ya what. If your arse isn't in this chair in the next 10 seconds, I will go inside and show your mother those pictures I have of you.. and I don't mean the ones you have with clothes on. Now move!" he boomed, making her eyes and ears become more aware from fear as she scurried out and obeyed to he's command.

The car journey was a dead silent transport from Paul concentrating on the over trafficked roads, whilst Grace started up her ipod to listen to indie rock music that soon was drawn from ears as Paul yanked them out. The point and glare he gave put her in full submission to him, mainly because she was living in fear and he's daily dosage of anger that was inflicted upon her helpless body made her feel uneasy and used.

She opened up her car door to hear the school bell chime instantly making her clutch several heavy books close to her flat chest and she scampered off to class without a kiss goodbye to Paul, making him mortified with her lack of interest to work in the relationship.

Grace had a dissection practical to perform, and as soon as she began bounding and stretching the deceased creature her mind fled back to a similar time allowing tears to flood her eyes.

The flashback Grace experienced was a time when she first knew Paul. They had started to become more active in bedroom and he admitted he was not satisfied with her performance, so he tried a more rough method of delivering pleasure to her sweet body. The ropes came out, along with some sort of whip that had multiple attachments of leather. Grace became on edge after revisiting the past when he lashed her torso and breasts with the torturous leather not to mention the tightly gripped ball gag position in her mouth.

"You okay, Grace?" her concerned partner turned to say, snapping her out of horror and she replied with a simple nod and slowly placed the knife down, waiting for the shivers to vanish.

The lesson ended after her traumatising visions of the times Paul and her body were attempted to satisfy but, never did. Grace gathered her books but jumped in shock to see the boyfriend from hell waiting by the entrance.

"Walk with me." Paul ordered, and reached out for her hand.

He directed her to their next lesson, English literature, which he would also be joining. Grace found her seat and Paul did the same in the plastic chair behind her.

As the class began to gather, the other students gave off a slack and social aroma which comforted Grace's nerves from the hawk watching her, until Derek came along.

"Hey Grace, you forgot your homework sheet from last lesson." He then pulled the paper from he's bag and handed it to her. Derek soon walked away after a thorough set of instruction on how to complete, and stroked her shoulder in a friendly reassurance.

Deep down, she knew that Paul would attack at Derek's touch and it gave her a worried nerve in the pit of her stomach.

The lesson proceeded with her lecturer heading into great detail about picking out the quotes from a piece of text. Grace took out her Berol pen and wrote notes down on a story they were given. She got to the halfway point of the assignment when a scrunched up ball of paper caught her off guard and rolled across her desk. Grace left it for several minutes, thinking it was just a prank but, when whispering occurred in the voice of Paul she stretched arm across and opened it up..

"YOU FUCKING FLIRTACIOUS LITTLE BITCH! WHY DON'T YOU QUIT OPENING YOUR LEGS FOR OTHER GUYS AND PAY MORE ATTENTION TO ME." Her eyes lit up in fear and it suddenly got worse as she read the small print at the bottom.

"Prepare yourself, because you might not wake up tomorrow." and she became all glassy eyed at this threat. Grace inhaled one large breath and told herself not to look round at Paul. As she tried to continue with her work, she realised she couldn't with her trembling fingers that refused to grasp the pen. She let out a small cry in the back of her throat, but it was not loud enough for anyone to get immediate attention.

Suddenly, the teacher shot up from his desk and decided on stretching his legs by pacing up and down each isle, so Grace slowly slid the creased up but now flattened note underneath her work. Her mind was breaking down, and as she tried to pull herself back together, a thought turned to her head as she noticed the title written in bold letters on the sheet of paper she was given.. 

'The Runaway Slave'