10.

I made my way through the dark and cold town, heading over to James for the sleepover we had planned. Before I left I had some basic daily chores to do, such as clean up dad's mess, feed the cats, deliver the mail, and help mom with lunch. But afterward, I was on my way. I have to say I'm a little worried.

If I'm going, to be honest, this would have only been my 3rd sleepover with somebody, the first two being with Bianca. I as usual let my anxiety get the best of me, so I always worry before things like this. Not that hanging out with James wasn't a bad thing, it was just outside of my comfort zone in terms of my social life. To be fair we barely started talking earlier this week, but to be honest it feels like we've known each other for a lot longer. I began to enjoy his morning stories, whether it be about his video games or his speech class, something about it was all so calming to listen to.

The inevitable butterflies began to creep back up into my stomach, making me hold it with pain. I'm tempted to ask Mom if I can go see a doctor, but only if it gets worse. It always happened at the weirdest times. I ignored the pain and decided to keep walking, making my way through the thickly coated snowy streets.

I eventually found his street and almost gasped at the sheer difference between the rest of the town and here. This house was decently sized, with at least two stories each. It was a sight to look at and had it not been incredibly cold outside, I would have let myself smile. I stepped into a sidewalk (that was barely visible) and made my way around the neighborhood. Every house was close together but had its own space. The backyards were huge and the front lawns were always up kept and pretty. It was quite the sight.

Eventually, I went down the correct street and followed the houses down. Eventually, I made eye contact with James' house, noticing it's quite gigantic size. I stood in front of their house and gave it a quick stare. The house was 2 stories, with what seemed to be a basement as well. The windows were huge and the lawn was very pretty. Outside they had 3 light-up reindeer, glowing through the snow. They must be November decorators. I sighed and walked up to their driveway, and made it to their front step.

I gave their fancy doorknob a quick ring, and a voice rang out from a speaker next to it. It was a woman's voice. "Are you James' friend?" It rang out, piercing my ears with its incredibly loud static.

I stared at it confused and replied. "Yes, I am. I'm Oliver."

There was a silence before I heard footsteps come towards the door. The door opened and I was faced with a woman. She had black hair, a brown dress, and a business suit hanging over it. She gave me a warm smile. "Hi hun, James is in the living room. Come on in." She ushered me in, closing the door behind me.

I walked in and almost passed out at the sight of the house. It was ginormous. The ceiling was super tall, and the walls were covered in thick white paint. There was a giant Christmas tree in the middle of the house, and a huge kitchen to the left of it. Everything was covered in some type of woodsy decoration, making me think these guys might be hunters. James got up from the couch east of the Christmas Tree and smiled at me.

I gave him a wave and he walked over. He was dressed in some blue pants, a grey sweatshirt, and his hair looked nicer than usual. He came over and stared at me awkwardly, before beginning the conversation. "How are you?" He said excitedly.

"I'm good, how are you?" I said back, taking my cheap boots off at the door. I didn't want to trace snow into this beautiful home.

His mom turned to face us. She gave Jason a look. "Okay dear, I won't be home until tomorrow at noon okay? Remember what I said? Dishes, room, and-"

"Bathroom. Got it." He said back, making her smile.

"There is lasagna in the fridge. You boys have fun now." She said, before heading out the door.

"Bye, mom!" He waved to her, and she smiled at him, before slamming the door.

I was a little confused as to why this mom was in such a hurry. Maybe it was a business trip or something? I don't understand rich people. I turned to face James and gave him a polite smile. The butterflies began to come back. "Hey, sorry I was late, there was traffic-"

I was pulled into an affectionate hug and was immediately wrapped in some type of warmth I've never felt before. "Thank you for coming. I appreciate it." He whispered, making me smile.

I hugged him back, wrapping my arms around his back. He was like a big furnace, completely being a source of heat. It was nice. I pulled away and took off my coat, and hung it on a nearby hanger.

"What do you want to do first?" He asked me, jumping up and down.

The rest of the day we played video games, cooked the lasagna, and read books. It wasn't anything crazy, but I was having an amazing time. The butterflies seemed to leave me alone, but they would come back now and then. I'm just glad this hangout was distracting me a little bit. Before I even knew it, nighttime had fallen upon us.