• Chapter 4 •

•|| Change ||•

Personalities in the Dark
||•••||

He rubbed his eyes under the glasses and focused on the screen that was full of words and lines. 

Under the only light of his desk lamp, he revised the chaos he had written. 

"Rue walked in, all bloody. Her eyes were empty, and light couldn't seep through its glass. She stood at the doorway like a lifeless statue, like someone who was shocked or attempted a big offense. Rue couldn't look at her husband, but she could feel his gaze objectively piercing her skull. He wanted answers, but she couldn't give it to him." 

He does want to laugh it off, but the following description was too real for a novel. It's because it's quoted from real life. But who would believe that?

Killua wanted to live in Gon's position, to sympathize with him. He lightly touched the situation with his pen and perspective, but is it really like that?

He let out a heavy sigh, slumped his body backward, and looked up at the off-white ceiling. His arms dangled down, all numb and drained from the lots of hours he stayed typing.

Gon's not home yet. It's the second day. He doesn't recall if Gon told him when he'll come back or not, which makes his patience run short.

He wants to bug him and tell him that he found a job as a copywriter in a news company called JAVA. And he can't stay at home all the time.

He does want to pick up a fight with his reckless husband. 

Suddenly, his phone tweeted. He straightened his sitting position and picked it up.

"Whatcha doing?" A message from Gon. "Is Elie asleep?"

"Yea." He texted back.

"Miss you."

"You're on break?"

"Yep. In the middle of the dark road. Want me to snap a pic." And without waiting for an answer, Gon sent a pic that only consists of one color, black.

"Nice," Killua replied.

"I can take a selfie with a flash if you want." 

"No, focus on the road."

How reckless of him to stop in the middle of the road with a huge fuel tanker. If Killua was there, he would've slapped him. 

"Then, send me a picture of you. I miss you." Gon texted.

The latter only stared at the message. His heart is squeezed by a hidden force; it feels heavy. Oh, how much he wants to call Gon's mom at the moment. To tell her about his doubts.

"Babe?" He noticed now that he's putting him on seen and not replying, but his fingers are a little stiff, maybe from typing for hours.

"Too tired." He could imagine Gon whimpering and sulking in that dark place alone. He could imagine him calling Killua a meanie.

"Daddy?" Killua turned to his son. The boy was rubbing his red eye and wobbling towards Killua's seat. "Where were you? You promised to sleep next to me tonight."

Elie's problems, insecurities, for some reason are getting wider. Gon must know about it, but Killua doesn't know how to tell him. "Sorry, chubs. I just finished my work." 

He turned off the desk lamp and took Elie's hand before walking out of the study together. "Have you talked to Dad?"

"Yep."