21.

The next coming days the same thing happened but the only difference was Seokjin involved Jungkook with him to encourage to talk to Hoseok

Jungkook sits at the kitchen island, fiddling with a discarded, stray onion peel. Despite the fact that there are three of them in the kitchen, and he isn't being ignored per se-he still feels awfully alone.

Seokjin's now at the stove, sliding all the ingredients from the chopping board to the pot with ease.

He loves watching Seokjin cook, even now in his predicament- wide back muscles shifting under the thin cotton of his t-shirt, the boiling broth not doing anything to quell the summer heat that's wafted into the cottage. It's so domestic it makes him flustered.

Usually, he would be the one beside Seokjin, watching to make sure nothing spills over as he precariously balances the cutting board atop the dirty dish tower that's been growing in the sink.

But it's not. Hoseok's there, and like everyone says, three's a crowd. Call him petty, but he tried! After many bumping elbows and colliding hips, that had been enough for Jungkook to retire himself to the barstools.

For the past hour of prep, it's been a lot of Hoseok hand feeding Seokjin with a

'Hyung, taste this' or a giddy smile beaming his way in response to everything the eldest did.

'Jungkookie, this soup is to die for. Jin-hyung made it all the time when we were kids'
Hoseok says, eyes glittering with genuine kindness.

I know. I have it every time I come here.

Jungkook almost feels bad for his one-sided aversion to Hoseok. He's been nothing but nice to him, bright and refreshing energy coming off him in waves. The insecurity likes to pop in at the worst times, not to rag on Hoseok but rather, the way Jungkook wishes he was like him.

Even though it's been a matter of weeks, Hoseok has proven himself to be mature, yet being able to joke with Seokjin. And--he has never been told off as a brat. It's obviously because him and Seokjin are closer in age, but Hoseok is also calm when he needs to be, and strikingly handsome. Jungkook finds himself at a conflict, and his texts to Jimin and Taehyung have showcased the same pattern of panic and reassurance.

'Yeah, and you would never finish it'
Seokjin retorts, but with little malice. He's still turned around, but Jungkook can see the way his cheeks are bunching up in a smile.

'Well now I will!'
Hoseok whines, attention shifting off the youngest of the three.

'I'm sorry I took it for grantedddd'

And then his hands do something awful.

Large hands trail down, starting from those shoulders, to Seokjin's wide expanse of his back, to where it tapers to the small of his back. The next thing he knows Hoseok's clinging onto him like a lamprey while digging his chin into the juncture of his neck.

'Get off me you menace'
Seokjin wiggles, but not enough to shake Hoseok. He's laughing with him, and Jungkook wants to join in too. They're bantering, and it's not unlike the way Seokjin would usually handle him.

They're making a commotion, and by the time they're done Seokjin pauses as he turns to Jungkook, pot in between oven-mitt covered hands.

'You're cleaning that up, Jungkookie'
Seokjin snickers, and usually Jungkook would bicker back, but the mortification had added to his sour mood.

Jungkook freezes. The onion peel he'd been fiddling with had been ripped to shreds, and Jungkook didn't even realize the mess he made until it was pointed out.

Hoseok gives him a smile, and kindly brushes the onions off for him, throwing them out into the compost.

'Gosh, giving hyung a hard time even when you're sitting there, huh?'
Seokjin teases, finally putting the soup down on the now cleaned table , that isn't riddled with scraps.

It's a lighthearted jab, they've said worse to each other, yet the lump in Jungkook's throat is too much to ignore. He doesn't respond, fixing a tight smile in response-if Seokjin notices his silence, he doesn't act on it, pouring him a bowl.

'Thank you for the food!'
Hoseok exclaims, before noisily digging in.

'Jungkook, eat while it's still hot and fresh!'

He blinks. The rims of his eyes are starting to water, and he bites his lip as he grabs his spoon.

It stings, but he blames the aromatic, spicy steam that rises up into his face.

The conversation sounds like a drowned mess to his ears as he tries to calm down. As if the mixed signals weren't bad enough, Seokjin places a comforting hand on his shoulder. Jungkook snaps out of his daze, and realizes half his soup is finished.

'Did you hear us, kookie?
Seokjin asks, concern etched into his features.

Jungkook coughs
'Um. No, sorry. I zoned out, he admits.

Hoseok speaks this time, mouth glossy from the soup he finished slurping down

'The summer festival, we're trying to go together'

Oh. Right.

'Yeah'
Jungkook swallows. 'Have fun...?'

'What are you talking about, I meant all three of us!'
Seokjin elaborates

'We always go together, Jungkook, thought that was a no brainer by now'

Jungkook bristles, face heating up
'Sorry-yeah, you're right. That was stupid of me'

He peers up at Hoseok, who looks confused and rightfully so
'It's really nice, Hoseok hyung-the food, the drinks, the fireworks-'

'Especially the fireworks!'
Seokjin adds, and the mood of the room gradually picks up again.

'So since it's in a week, we could...'

Jungkook finds himself genuinely smiling back as Hoseok listens in on Seokjin's rambling, looking right at both of them with nothing but undivided attention.

Perhaps...perhaps it wouldn't be so bad.

A/N- Well we'll see if it's bad or not🥰