Ethereal - Oneshot

An self-indulgent, side story/standalone fic with very OOC characters. Kagaya x Amane.

In a world without demons nor responsibilities. A world where he doesn't have to wear a hoari passed down for generations. A time where she can live without watching her significant other suffer. Where and what does that leave them? Perhaps they'll meet by an alley, by the library or by a cafe?

Or maybe they'll finally get to be just...idiots in love?

==================================

Kagaya was a man who had every step of his life planned out. He was walking on a straight path, one would say. There were no twists and turns like an endless maze. There weren’t anything or anyone that could pose as distraction that could distort his clear state of mind. Having only met few that he truly considered as friends and his family still alive and well, he could say that he was content with what he has.

He only had one goal. Succeed as heir of a company that his family had worked hard for and help others who had no roof over their heads, food on the table to eat and a comfortable bed to spend their nights on. He doesn’t plan on changing any of that. He thought that it is only right to give back to those who needed assistance or guidance. He had everything and there are those that had nothing.

Having to finally sit at the same chair that his father and those before him once did gave him a feeling that he couldn’t understand. He was happy, that’s one thing, happy that he could finally provide for the community. Happy that he could be of service. He was fully aware that his clean desk will soon be filled with papers, portfolios of every kind and that he soon will be sleeping in that same office if he so tries to overwork himself.

But he thought to himself that it was okay, it doesn’t matter he doesn’t leave that office, it doesn’t matter if he doesn’t rest for days, none of it does as long as those around him lives the life they deserve. He doesn’t mind being a pawn so that others will be live a life full of comfort. Even then, at the age of twenty three, he feels as if there was something missing.

He was lonely. Maybe that was the correct word. There was no one to accompany him during long and quiet shifts, no one to cook everyday meals for, no one to turn to and talk about their day or simply vent about his sudden bursts of frustration and there was no one whom he would come home to after a tiring day. He was surrounded by the most wonderful people there are yet somehow, none of them could fill in that gaping hole in his heart.

He was a man who had everything. He was a happy man whom treasures his family. Yet he was lonely and he doesn’t think he could survive noiseless and insufferable days any longer than he can.

Until now that is.

“Kagaya-san? You’re spacing out a lot lately, a penny for your thoughts?” The woman sitting across the café table spoke. He could sense her worry, as small as it might be.

He blinked. “Was it that obvious?” He fiddled with his fingers as he waited for a response. Something that was quite uncharacteristic of him. She blinked and simply smiled. “No need to fret Kagaya-san, I’d say it was rather adorable.”

Her compliment gave him a tingling feeling in his heart that he couldn’t explain. She has such divine voice that he doesn’t mind listening to all day, or maybe that’s just him. “Amane-san, I thought we already had come to an agreement that you can call me casually and don’t be too formal.”

“But you do the same?”

“Well, it’s only because you started it first.” He heard her chuckle and such a small action made his heart jump. Something he couldn’t understand either. “You’re adorable too when you smile.”