Chapter 12 - Z : Sparkling You

DISCLAIMER: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental or only for recreational purpose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wyatt -

through the crowd
you shine
transfixed by you
loves honest smile
and the rest of the world
falls away

********

Z

Lights – sparkling, shinning, blinding lights.

Golden silky hairs glowing on the forefront of those lights.

It was the new year's eve and we were waiting for the clock to strike midnight. Felt strange to be sitting outside in a hotel, listening to waves crashing nearby, the air a tad bit chilly and the scent of the salty ocean, not over powering the smells of food, flowers and festivity but quietly floating in the background.

This was going to be my first warm new year, all the ones before had been in the UK – cold, snowy and fantastically white, quite a contrast to warm, windy and ubiquitously earthy California vibes. We had recently shifted to the other side of the world, as my father put it, it's time to enjoy some sun.

My sisters had protested but I didn't mind, never made any real friends there, I was the odd brown kid among uppity white ones. I had hoped this place would be different but it remained more of the same till yet.

We were sitting around a circular table, on the large hotel garden in front of their majestically buildings. The garden was filled with circular tables neatly arranged in the shape of flowers equidistant from each other. I observed the pattern earlier while enjoying the wind from the terrace of the tallest hotel building surprisingly open for the guests, the neon lights shined the shape of the name 'Empire' at the top, the name of this property.

Each circular table hosted a family, custom set up depending on the size of the family, our had five chairs – two for adults and 3 for kids, the gorgeous view of the palm trees and the long stretched private beach, blue lighted swimming pool decorated the ambience. Classical western instrumental music played in the background.

My Mom & Baba and my two annoying sisters, there was another one on the way, nicely tucked in my Mom's tummy right then, I was still not sure how she got in there in the first place. When my Mom had first informed us, I had hoped for a brother but my wish didn't come true. It's not that I don't like my sisters, I did but I wanted someone to play with, someone more like me than my cheery, bubbly and friendly sisters.

California.
America.
New world but the same life.

Alone!

Mom looked at me and smiled, as if, she knew what I was thinking about and trying to cheer me up, I grinned back. She looked marvelous in her royal blue evening gown embedded with golden sparkles and the necklace Baba had given her for Christmas. Baba matched her in his dark blue suit. My sisters wore frilly frocks in varying shades of turquoise and sky blue. May be Mom had tried to color coordinate us but I wore my favorite black suit instead of the navy blue new ones, she had chosen for me.

The food was good, and I had devoured the chicken served earlier, we were on desserts now, a tempting piece of blueberry cheesecake lying in front of me, though I was more than full. My legs reached the ground if I rested it on my toes and sat very close to the edge of my seat, barely touching the grass. I had this slightly worrisome thought at the back of my head that I might fall. I looked around the place in an attempt to distract myself.

Some people were dancing on the circular floor at the middle of the whole setup, others were busy gulping their wines and drinks, one girl was stuffing her face with what looked like brownie with some ice-cream. And there he was, the boy with shining golden hair, I had tried not to stare at, the whole night.

He was the most fascinating character in the new year party. His hair really shined and so did his eyes whenever I caught few glances of it while he looked at our way from time to time. The lights and the hotel building standing tall behind him. I told myself he wasn't looking at us but trying to catch a glimpse of the beach on my side.

He kept playing with his legs trying to hit his sister. He was sneaky and had already stolen her piece of cake and few sticks of bread before. You could tell by his demeanor he was coming up with another mischief in his mind. He had already tripped her once and few bits of grass still stuck to her pink lacy dress. He stretched his hands, adorned with sparkling cufflinks of his smooth white shirt, slowly towards the glass resting on his father's side, whose back was towards me, a rather burly guy, deeply engaged in conversation with the boy's mother.

Ever so gently he caught hold of foot of the wine glass that had only few gulps of the drink left in it and quietly slide it close towards himself.

Is he planning on drinking the remnants of the red wine?

Yes!

He picked up the glass with some effort and swirled the liquid around before bring it close to his pouty lips and then drank every last bit of it.

But he was so small, like me, may be smaller than me. We weren't allowed to do that. And on top of this naughty behavior, he had the audacity to smack his lips together, tasting the wine in his mouth and probably making a sound. He smiled, satisfied with his behavior and relishing the taste of the drink.

I stared at him incredulous and he looked right at me, again smacking his lips together and blinking at me, what looked like winking with both his eyes. His large blue eyes popped out at me, filled with disbelieve and interest. The glass still wobbling in his tiny hands.

"Harry!"

His mom had just realized and shouted at him.

He flashed his cutest little smile while making puppy dog innocent eyes. By looks of it, he was getting a good earful from his mother. He kept his head down, hint of smile still playing on his lips, trying to suppress probably a giggle.

I thought to my self –

That boy is trouble.

********
Vote | Comment
Appreciate your feedback !!!