Chapter 22 - Z : Flying

DISCLAIMER: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental or only for recreational purpose.

***********************************************************************************************

Mark Twain, 'Roughing It, Chapter XXII, 1886.'

The air up there in the clouds is very pure and fine,

bracing and delicious.

And why shouldn't it be? –

it is the same the angels breathe

********

Z

I could see the clouds dancing, looking like candy floss as the sun began to set turning the whole sky into a canvas in hues of pinks, oranges and purples.

Flying in airplanes wasn't my favorite thing but surely one can't reach USA from India any other way in decent time. We were coming back after visiting my grandparents and extended family from my father's side there.

My grandparents lived on the foothill of Himalayas in a small town, they had their own orchards. It was a piece of heaven, the only thing missing there was Harry.

Dimpled cheeks, smiling Harry.

Other worldly blue-green eyes Harry

Smelling sweet like fruits and candies Harry

Hair color and texture changing Harry

My Harry!

His hairs literally changed colors from light blonde to dirty blonde in few months I had known him. His hairs had grown so long that one couldn't see his ears and it covered his forehead.

His hair was perfectly straight when I meet him but then Harry had decided to grow them out because he liked me playing with it, moving my fingers threw them. He believed it would feel even nicer with longer hairs.

They had grown so much, it hid his eyes at times, I didn't like that and the hairs had started to curl at the end tips, at least the last time I had seen him 3 weeks prior, which I liked a lot.

The clouds outside my airplane window started looking like curls.

Harry's curls.

When his mom had insisted for him to get a haircut, he had completely refused it. Following Harry's lead, I had not got a haircut in quite a while as well.

I missed him so much, it was difficult to put in words.

Was it normal to miss a friend so much?

Did Harry miss me as much as I did?

I got lots of gifts for him including a tree sampling and mangoes from India. Mangoes hand plucked by your truly me from my grandmas back garden. It was spring at her place by then but all of summer was left to enjoy in California.

The airplane was moving with the clouds.

I closed my eyes and remembered the times I had felt like flying, really flying.

.

.

.

It was my day.

I was winning, I was flying.

Paddling my bicycle with all my strength, I felt like I was the air, moving at the speed of light.

I could feel my hair blowing with the wind, my gym shirt sticking to my body cause of all the sweat, my cross bouncing on my chest.

The cross had been my lucky charm, a late birthday gift given to me by my Nan and Granddad the last time they visited us from England. My Mum had been ecstatic.

Finishing the race was a mere formality at the point as I had left all my competitor's long way back.

I was the wind, and I winged to the finish line, to become the new under 10 state cycling champion.

And there was Harry, in his pink t-shirt stolen from Gemma & cut shorter by me and his signature denim shorts clubbed with new fancy all white Nike Air Force shoes, jumping up and down with happiness holding the sign 'Malik means King' at the end of the finish line.

.

.

.

And the thought about the time at the park when we went to play with our Mums, when I was scared to go on the swing, but Harry convinced me.

"Together, we will do it together?" Harry had said.

"How? This swing is not big enough for the two of us. You go, I will watch you."

"There are two swings, our moms can push at the same time, and you don't look around because it makes you dizzy right" I had nodded my head, my eyes big as I was scared "yeah so you look at me and I will look at you and they will push us on the swings" he had pointed at our moms.

"Ok cool, let's do it" I shrugged my shoulders as if this was of no concern to me, but I wasn't fooling anyone, he knew for sure and gave me a pat in the back trying to transfer his confidence.

"Hold on tight to theses chains" He showed me his posture as he sat on the swing.

It was scary, I held on tight.

I looked at him and he looked at me, like he had instructed, and our swings went up and down in sync.

He smiled, so I smiled.

"See, its good right" he chimed.

It was.

"Yeah" I agreed.

It kept on going higher, I kept looking at him.

He mouthed Nice?

I grinned at him.

He closed his eyes, his hairs flying, he was moving and down in the air like it was nothing. Like he was born to fly.

So I closed my eyes and I felt like flying as well, I had wings.

Light breeze hit my face, I could feel my shirt blowing backwards as I had put it over my t-shirt, unbuttoned.

I told myself to be brave, to open my eyes and look forward.

I did.

It was amazing. the whole park moved with me, one second I could see the flowers on the ground and then all I could see was the clear clear blue sky and the setting sun.

I never wanted to get down from that swing.

That day I realized; Harry could make me fly.

********

Vote | Comment
Appreciate your feedback 😊