chapter xii

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

❛❛Wise girl?❜❜ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

❛❛Wise girl?❜❜
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

IT HAD BEEN A SOLID TEN DAYS SINCE HER ARGUEMENT WITH CHRIS IN HER DORM. Annalise was already sick of it. The brunette girl had not spoke to her friends all ten days, except Mariah a few times in the common room.

She mostly spent her days revising her books, preparing for the winter exams that were only few days away. Otherwise she could be found in the Gryffindor common room, pranking people with the Weasley twins and Lee Jordan (a quartet everyone was afraid of), or conversing with Hermione Granger and exchanging jokes with Ron Weasley. A fact that shocked people around her, considering her bad relationship with Harry Potter.

Speaking of Harry, even the relationship between him and Annalise had improved. They no longer insulted each other at every waking moment. It had decreased to about three times per day which also came as a surprise to everyone including the proffesors.

Annalise had also noted how Harry had started blatantly flirting with her.

It started with that little comment on Transfiguration after the party in Halloween and from that point, the Potter boy hadn't stopped flirting. Everytime he would, Annalise would tell him off, but even she couldn't stop the little butterflies swirling in her stomach ─the same ones she would excuse as stomach ache─.

Right now, Annalise was completing her essay on DADA, on the tree beside the Black Lake where her and her best friends were often found at. The weather was awful and it would no doubt snow that night, but Annalise sit sat there in a sweater bigger than her self, a mug of hot chockolate that the house elves in the kitchens kindly made for her, and her Defence Against the Dark Arts homework.

She was almost done with it when someone sat beside her.

That someone being no other than Harry James Potter who found her using the Marauder's map. A map his dad and his best friends made dyring their year at Hogwarts, that could saw everyone in anyplace among the school grounds. A map he inherited in his first year, that his mother ans sister where not really happy about.

"Watcha doing in the cold, Hale." he laughed mockingly at her. "You look like Rudolph, the red nosed reindeer."

Annalise gasped and then pouted at his insult. "Fuck you, glass boy."

Harry laughed again, this time a genuine one, amused by the nickname the Ravenclaw girl gave him. "You wish, wise girl".

"Wise girl?" she asked with a raised brow.

"Glass boy?" he also asked.

The both of them laughed together as if they were friends for years, momentarily forgetting that the person right next to them was not in fact their friend, but their sworn 'enemy'. When they did realise, the two immediately stopped laughing and shot away from each other, creating a distance between them.

Annalise's cheeks started to heat up, a pink tinge visible in her face. Clearing her throat she looked at Harry who was looking everywhere but her. "So, what did you want, Potter? I'm trying to finish my work before it starts to snow."

Harry ran a hand through his hair, before finally looking at her, his cocky attitude back on his face. "I was walking when I saw an ugly figure beside the lake and I wanted to see if it was a dead animal?" he lied.

Annalise catching onto his lie shot him an unimpressed look, but she nodded. Did he think she was that stupid?

A shiver ran through her as a wave of air hit her. Harry saw that and without a second thought, he shrugged off his coat and put it over Annalise's shoulders. His eyes widened right away along with her's and he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "Wouldn't want Jo coming for my head if you caught a cold."

At the girl's name, Annalise's face immediately fell and a frown came to her lips.

Harry shot an eyebrow at her. "What? Did you and my sister fell out, or something?"

Annalise took a deep breath and looked at the frozen lake. "Something like that."

"That's why she and your little crew have been all so miserable lately?"

Annalise looked up in his emerald eyes in surprise. "Miserable?"

Harry then scoffed at her obliviousness and shooke his head with a small smile "Oh, Hale. How could you be so stupid."

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

After a long talk with the Potter boy, realised that she had  to talk with her friends. So here she was, in the entrance of the Hufflepuff common room, where Harry told her they would be and with a sigh she entered.

In front of her, huddled on the yellow couches were the four girls, Georgine, Mariah, Chris and Zoe. They immeadiately looked at her and Annalise smile awkwardly at them.

"Hey" she mumbled.

The girls looked at each other with hopeful looks before turning back to Annalise who stood a couple of feet across from them.

"Hey" Mariah replied for them.

Annalise sighed once more before asking them they'd been waiting for. "Can we talk?"

Zoe shot the girl a smile. "Yeah. Come here."

Annalise smiled sheepishly and jogged to one of the comfy couches next to Georgine.

"Wait!" Jo gasped.

Everyone looked at her weirdly before she spoke again. "Is that my brother's coat?!"

Annalise's eyes widened once more and her cheeks reddened, as the rest of the girls laughed at her.

And somehow ─despite her embarassed state─ Annalise knew things would be alright again.

─────────

If you caught the Percy Jackson reference, I love you with all my heart-