Chapter 1

Yucca

Yucca stared out the window of her office, the candle she had flickering and reflected off the raindrop-filled surface. The rainy season was upon them, causing many dragons to seek shelter in the hives. The library had just restocked on flamesilk and new copies of books. Yucca took another glance at a few crates of books that she still needed to make copies of.

She got off her chair and headed over to a blanket that was draped over the cocoon that held Nightsky, a dragonet just three years and a half younger than herself. She smiled and patted it. Only one more day then she'd come out with wings and silk. Yucca laughed slightly. It was hard to believe that only just a half a year ago, in the dry season, was when the HiveWings got a new queen, who lifted the law of no inter-tribe relationships. She allowed SilkWings to have a queen.

The remaining LeafWings soon heard and some came straight to the newly renamed Calico Hive and demanded the truth. Cerulean and Yucca had been the ones pulled aside and simply answered "Yes! Queen Calico is the queen of the HiveWings, while Queen Cloudspot is making plans for a new SilkWing kingdom." The LeafWings were shocked and soon Queen Sequoia had arrived. It had been over fifty years since three queens stood together in one room.

Yucca had danced with Cerulean at the gathering of all three tribes. It was glorious. Queen Calico had also released the flamesilks before the gathering so they could attend. It was held, obviously, at Jewel Hive, the grandest Hive that had enormous ballrooms. Lady Jewel had gratefully hosted it in her palace since it meant peace that she had always wanted.

Yucca sighed, heading out of the back room. The library had expanded, under Lady Mantis' permission, so there was so much more space to decorate and store books and read.

Standing behind her desk she could see the glimmers of bright green, brown, yellow, orange, purple, gold, and black scales throughout the library, dragonfly-shaped wings shifted next to wings the shape of leaves, which flicked lightly against soft, curved butterfly-looking wings. Yucca loved the peace of the library, flowers, and vines draping from holders and pots. She looked towards the entrance.

She unfurled her antennae, sensing talon steps coming fast towards the doors. Some SilkWings paused their reading and looked up, their own antennae flickering up. Soon the loud thumping was pressing closer and the rest of the dragons that hadn't looked up already looked up.

Three dragons burst through the doors, a LeafWing looking irritated, coming in slower behind an excited-looking HiveWing in glasses, followed close behind a SilkWing a very pretty blue and lavender. The HiveWing looked around, smiling greatly.

The library patrons frowned then went back to their books, a few dragonets whispering quietly among themselves. The LeafWing glanced around and made eye contact with Yucca. They glanced back at the other two and nodded their head over to her. Yucca tilted her head, but shook herself and flicked her tail.

The HiveWing hurried over in an excited manner, the SilkWing padding beside her, while the LeafWing looked around at the greenery in the library, following slower behind.

"Hi! Hi! Do you own this library? It's so beautiful here! How many books do you have? How long did it take you to get so many?" The HiveWing pressed, her tail flicking rapidly.