Chapter 3

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
Fear

The first half of classes pass by quickly and I'm surprised when the bell rings for lunch. I put my book away as the other girls already have their food and are sitting in a circle under the window. Ruby goes to join them sending me a sad look and finishing the circle. There are now no open spots so I take it as an I'm not invited. I guess Josie is still mad at me for calling her out.

I head over to the mudroom to grab my food when a certain annoying boy walks up to me. "So I'm guessing you made it to Green Gables safely." I turn to look at him after sending a quick glance to the girls staring at me from their spot on the floor. "Yes." He looks over at them too and notices there are no open spaces. "If you want you can come eat with us," He offers. "As much as that sounds appealing I don't think they would like it if I ate with you." He looks puzzled at what I just said. "Why? Haven't they basically shunned you out?" I look him in his warm chocolate eyes and answer, " Kinda but if I want them to forget about their anger for me in time. I can't talk to you." And with that, I walk away to a corner by myself and eat my small amount of food. Leaving the poor boy stunned at my answer.

That night I head over to my window and look up at the moon and say my little prayer for my older brother, Noah. He was working on a ship and got lost at sea earlier last year. When I mom found out it broke her, then she divorced the horrible excuse of a man. She blames her self for his leaving. He left because he didn't like the man she chose to marry. He was only 16 when he left. I was just 12 at the time. Mother thinks we'll never see him again and that he's dead. But they told us the ship went missing not that it sunk. There's still a chance he's out there on some island. I lay down excited for a long sleep with tomorrow being Saturday and having no school.

I wake up startled by the sound of a bell? My mom rushes into my room, "Oh good your up, there's a fire!" What? I think to myself still not awake enough to understand fully what she's saying. "The bell it means there's a fire. Get a jacket and help me find buckets." I nod and start putting on my shoes as she leaves my room heading downstairs.

The next thing I know we're outside in the cart with a bunch of buckets heading to the large fire we see. It's just down the road from our house. We just pass out the gate and I can see all the people there. That's when I notice it's the Gillis house. Oh, Ruby.

We stop the cart a safe distance away from the fire and get out to help. The men are rushing to dull the flames. I see Ruby and head over to her. She's standing with Diana and Anne who just arrived it looks like. "Ivy!" Ruby shrieks when she sees me. She starts running and leaps into my arms. "Oh I'm so sorry, I should have been ignoring you. When I smelled the smoke I thought I was going to die. I can't die knowing you hate me." Ruby is crying now. Oh how much I missed her and her dramatic self. I hug her back smiling letting her know it's all good.

"Is everyone out of the house?" My mom asked Mrs. Gillis. "Yes, but all my linens are probably on fire. They've been passed down to me from my grandparents!" She cries. I certainly see where Ruby gets her dramatic flair from. I listen as the mothers talk about who the children will stay with when I hear Ruby will be staying with me. We send each other a knowing look when she looks off to the side. I follow her gaze to see Anne running into the burning house. Stopping to soak a bunch of blankets in the water. "Anne!" Me and Ruby call at the same time. The mothers quickly look to see Anne disappear in the smoke.

"No! I hear an older lady cry out realized it's Marilla. The other women hold her back as it looks like she wants to run after her. Diana looks like she's about to faint so I grab her hand. Ruby does the same after watching me do it. As we wait what feels like days but must only be a short while. The fire starts to slow down. "Anne must be doing something!" I call out. "She's stopping the fire." Not long after the words leave my lips I see a redhead run out of the front door. We all rush to her. I stop and grab a bucket of water for her.

"Fire needs oxygen. Without oxygen, a fire will die," I hear Anne say as I head over with the bucket. A young guy is there as well asking about what happened and when Diana tells him he yells back to an older man. I recognize him as the boy from the Cuthberts farm. Soon everyone knows about how Anne saved the house. After making sure she's ok me and Ruby walk a little ways away.

"So how do you feel about your house," I say looking at the smoking house. Now that the fires out you can tell the only the roof will need to be fixed. Can't say about the damage inside though. "I'm mostly glad I'm ok. My bedroom doesn't look like it was touched by the flames." Ruby says looking relieved. I'm about to press more about the matter when a certain guy comes over from checking on Anne looking worried.

"You ladies ok," Gilbert asks looking at me only. "Yes, we say in unison." He smiles, "Well that's good." Ruby can't seem to take her eyes off him while I would like nothing better than for him to stop staring at me. Especially since Ruby loves him. I'll see you on Monday then he says walking off. I feel relieved that he's left. I don't know but something about him I don't like. "Isn't Gilbert such a gentleman?" Ruby says sighing. "He's something alright.

So, I decided to add a character last minute. Ivy's older brother Noah. I just thought hey she should have an older sibling so last minute I added him. I don't how how he will look yet so I'll add that to the into asap. I just want to make things clear he's 19 right now.

~Bella