Chapter 4

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
Fear

I woke up to the sun shining into my room. I slowly trudge out of my warm bed and go to my window and look out over the garden. I turn back towards the bed as I remember Ruby is staying with me. All the events of last night come rushing back to me. "Morning," Ruby says while yawning. "Come on we should go and bake something for all the men helping to build your house," I say to her as she starts to get out of bed. She moves quicker when I remind her Gilbert will be helping.

As we start making the scones a knock on the door stops us. I set down the spoon I was using to mix with and go over to it. I open the door and see my bright friends staring back at me. "Hello!" I look at her as she smiles. "Are you busy today?" She asked with such excitement. "No, Ruby and I are just making scones for the men building her house then we're free. You can join us." She shakes her head and I let her in."

We make a huge mess making scones. Ruby never really baked and I have my mother always doing it so we weren't very comfortable in a kitchen. Anne on the other hand was very useful. We would have baked them way too long if it wasn't for her. She says it's because of having to cook for large family's when she was living with other family's before she came to Green Gables.

As the scones are baking we start to clean up our mess. I do the dishes as Ruby puts the food away and Anne cleans the counter. With us all doing part of the work we finish quickly. The timer still says we have 10 minutes so be busy ourselves with simple gossip. At least they do. I go in search of a basket.

When I find the perfect one I head back into the kitchen. The girls are just staring at the oven like it's their enemy. "What are we doing now? I question trying not to laugh at their seriousness. "Waiting for it to be done," Ruby replies like it's a normal activity. "We're trying to make it cook faster so we can bring them to the boys, then I can take you to the place I wanted to show you," Anne says seeming impatient.

Once they get out of the oven we place them in the basket and put a towel over it. We get out coats on and start the trudge to Ruby's house. We make it there in less than ten minutes since I live so close. From the distance, we can see carriages with wood and other tools. Most of the men who live near here have come to help. I wonder if this happened in Charlotte Town would the community come together and help like this. Probably not, there it's everyone for themselves it feels.

We walk up and Anne says hi to an older man who I think is Mathew Cuthbert. A few men nod their heads in our direction but for the most part, they pay no attention to us as we walk by. Ruby goes to see Gilbert followed by Anne. I see Anne's stable boy and go over to say hi. There are more things to do than see Gilbert Blythe. Besides he's with Billy working on the roof.

"Hi, I'm Ivy." I introduce myself to the boy. He's shorter than my 5 feet 3 inches. He has short dark hair with brown eyes. He looks up and smiles at me introducing himself. I notice he has an accent. A French accent to be exact. I love accents. Something about them can make anyone seem so- I don't know how to explain it. "I'm Jerry," he extends his hands to me. I shake it. "I brought fresh scones if you would like some. We decided to make them since everyone came together to help Ruby's family." "Oui, I would like one." I move the towel and grab one. I'm glad they're still warm. Especially since it's freezing outside. He takes small bites. "Yum, it's amazing. Don't tell me mom but it's way better than hers." He whispers to me. I lean in. "I won't," we laugh but it's cut short when I hear someone yelling. "Give me the hammer and I'll finish the job myself if you're too busy being a jerk to get it done!" I turn to see Anne turning red with anger. She standing by Ruby who's starring at Gilbert who's now standing on the grown with them.

"I can bring your basket home after I finish here. So you don't have to come back and get it later." I turn to Jerry smiling. "Oh, are you sure?" I don't want to trouble him with any more work.  Or after he spends the day working here. "No trouble, you're just down the road right." He points in the direction of my house. I nod. "It's on my way home, don't worry about it. "Thank you, I'll see you later then." I smile and the. Walk over to Anne who's walking away from Ruby and Gilbert.

"What happened?" I question as I walk up to the two of them. "Billy was just being a jerk as usual," Gilbert answers. "So come to feed the beasts I see," I look to him from glaring at Billy. "Oh, yes. Would you like one? There freshly made this morning." I smile trying to be polite. "I'll go check on Anne," Ruby says walking in the direction of our fiery friend. "Yes please," Gilbert reply's as he takes off one of his gloves. I reach in to hand him a warm scone. He takes bigger bites compared to Jerry. Gilbert seems like the kind of guy that's always rushing about. Trying to do everything.

I'm lost in thought when- "would you like me to bring the basket home to you when it's empty?" He questions. "Oh, how kind of you but Jerry already offered." He looks confused. "Jerry? Who's Jerry?" He asks. "I turn and point to him. "He works at Green Gables. And he's French." Gilbert looks disappointed for some reason that's beyond me. We've only really known each other for a month and a half maybe. "Oh ok, well I'll see you at school on Monday." I turn to leave looking over my shoulder to say bye but he's already heading back to the ladder.

I stop and put the basket on a table. Then hurry to follow after the girls. I pass Jerry and smile at him before running to catch them.

 I pass Jerry and smile at him before running to catch them