Chater 14

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
Fear

"The bowls are in there," Diana says to Anne.  Ruby wanted to make Gilbert a shepherd's pie so she rangled me, Anne, and Diana, into helping her. We're using Diana's kitchen because it's the biggest and the nicest. My mom is taking a day off to do some housework at our own house. I'm free to be here until way past lunch when we're dropping the pie off, but after what happened yesterday and the awkward goodbye I'm not sure if I will be dropping the pie off.

"If the key to a man's heart is through his stomach," Ruby says cutting off my trail of thought. "Which it is," Diana agrees. "Then we have to make sure that this is the best shepherd's pie that Gilbert has ever tasted," Ruby says stirring the pot on the stove. My job is to mix the dough together. Which isn't as easy as I had hoped.

"Being a good cook shouldn't be very high on the list of romantic attributes, if you ask me," Anne says disagreeing with Ruby. "I agree with her. I can't cook an edible thing but it shouldn't stop me from finding love," I say nodding to Anne. "I'd like to be noticed for me, not my dinner," Anne finishes. The girls laugh. "Your so funny Anne," Dinna says smiling to herself.

"I wasn't meaning to be funny," Anne says seriously. "Oh?" Diana exclaims. "So what's on the list she asks. "My brain, Diana. My personality. As in who I am. I like to believe that's what truly matters," Anne says. I look up from my mixing and see Diana and Ruby smiling at each other.
That's what should matter," I say siding with Anne. "But that's not how it is in the real world. That's why one day I'm going to travel somewhere far away, where women have a say."

I earn a laugh from Diana and Ruby but I brush it off. "All that only matters of romance matters, which it does not," Anne says frowning to herself. "Yes!" Ruby yells. "It does!" We all giggle at Ruby's enthusiasm.

"Don't you think Gilbert looks even more handsome now that he's sad?" Ruby asks randomly with a smile. "I didn't notice," Anne says coldly. She doesn't realize I know what happened yesterday. I want to tell her I saw and told him off but then that would lead to the hugging. Which didn't matter because it was only Gilbert Blythe and not someone who matters. At all.

"That only matters if you thought he was handsome in the first place," You say with a smile. Why does it feel like you're lying? "He does!" Diana squeals. "Ruby and Gilbert sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I" Minnie May starts singing from her spot at the end of the table. You hadn't realized she was there.

"Minnie May, we're trying to work," Dina says to her. "I'm cooking," She explains. I try not to laugh at her serious face. 'Your watching," Diana corrects. "I told you, the only way you get to be here with us is if you're quiet. Don't interrupt or you'll have to sit with Great-Aunt Josephine." The young girl looks horrified. "No!" That makes us all giggle except Diana who scowls playfully.

Diana's great aunt walks in just as we finish giggling. Minnie May sees her first. "I'm being quiet," The young girl says. "Then you're the only one. Cackling hens. Lord help me," The older woman says which causes another round of giggles.

"Take the boy the godforsaken pie before I suffer a mental collapse." The woman commands. "Sorry, Aunt Josephine," Dina says while rolling out the dough int the table. "You girl have been prattling on for hours about nothing. A parlor should be a quiet haven. Instead, it's unbearable," Aunt Josephine says.

"It is weak and silly to say you cannot bear what it is your fate to be required to bear," Anne says. I look up at her in shock. "I beg your pardon?" The older woman says just as shocked as me. "Jane Eyre. Don't you just love it?" Anne says and I realize she's talking about the book the woman is carrying. "Ah. I've yet to reach that bit," The woman says still in shock. "Chapter six, I believe." Anne must not notice how she practically just insulted this poor woman. 

"Oh, and the ending makes me weep every time," The girl continues. I look across the table and see Diana and Ruby give each other a look. "When Rochester-" The older woman interrupts her. "For heaven's sake! Didn't we just establish that I've only begun it?" Anne apologizes "I love crying over a good book, don't you?" She asks. "Thus far I find the prose... invigorating. More so if I can hear myself think," The older woman says.

"We'll take the pies straight over to Gilbert as soon as we're done Aunt Josephine," Diana reasured her great aunt. "Small mercies," I hear the woman say under her breath. I stifle a laugh knowing it's not the best time.

"I'll report back to you on the ending," And with that the older woman leaves. I look over at the girl and let out a laugh. "Is she always so surly?" Ruby asks. "She's always scary," Diana says with a smile. "The surly part just worsened now that she's sad." I let out another giggle. This time Anne doesn't join us.

I look over at the girl who has a sad look on her face. "It must be awful beyond measure to lose someone that you love deeply. In a split second, a heartbeat, they're gone forever and there is nothing that you cand to bring them back," Now the poor girl is crying. I put my hand on her shoulder to comfort her. "Anne?" Minnie May speaks up. "Your crying on the potatoes."

Anne stops mashing and apologizes. She takes a deep breath and continues. We finish making the pie and when it's done in the oven put it in a nice basket with a pretty blanket on top. "Hey I better get going. My mom might need me and you don't need me to bring the food to Gilbert," I say trying to escape.

"No, Don't worry it will be quick and your mom said you had until after lunch. It's only had past 11," Ruby says looking at the clock. I want to put up more of a fight but soon I'm wrapped upmin my snow gear and taken outside.

***

"There's nothing wrong with saying I'm sorry for your loss, Ruby," Diana argues. "And I'm going to say it because I am." Ruby looks shocked. "You'll just make it worse if you say that. His father just died." The girl are arguing about what to say to Gilbert when we give him the food.

The two of them are carrying the basket while I walk arm in arm behind them with Anne. "That's what you say when someone dies," Diana says getting frustrated. "I don't want you to upset him," Ruby retourts back. "He's already upset because his father just dies," Diana says stating the obvious. "Anne Ivy, please tell Ruby it's all right to say-" Anne cuts the girl off. "I'm thinking perhaps I should get on home." We all stop.

"No no no, if I have to do this you do too," I say looking at the girl. "Why?" Ruby asks turning around to face us. "I'm sure Marilla must be needing my help with something," Anne says. "Dont be silly. We're almost there," Ruby says. "Hold me hand." So Anne holds the girls hand while I hold her other. "I'm so nervous!" Ruby says

I know I didn't show the pie dropping off. That's because I want to drag this season out a little more. We're almost to the end of season 1 and I want to take a break when I finish so I can make next season even better. But hope you liked this chapter and got to see some Aunt Josephine who I personally love. <3

~Bella