Chapter 24: Summer in the City

Balr was a charming port on the western coast of Bastia. The thick scent of sea salt and fish lingered in the air throughout the entire city. The city was a strange combination of evergreen leaves and mountains covered with snow, right next to the ocean.

The small, stone castle was perched in the middle of the town, surrounded by wooden houses and narrow streets. While we descended towards the Inn we would be staying in, I noticed three large ships waiting for departure in the marina.

People tried not to stare at us and I appreciated the effort. As soon as we walked past however, they whispered amongst themselves.

While the handsome werewolf and Torvald hurried ahead with wounded Danilo, Nick, Rixen and I lingered in the back, casually strolling through the streets.

"You know, Balr used to be a lot like the Bordering City." Rixen said suddenly, glancing up at the people staring at us from their windows and balconies, murmuring in hushed tones. "Back when Orathia was the most powerful kingdom in the known world."

"Really?" I mumbled, checking out the numerous bars along the way.

"Balr was the main port." Nick cut in. "The city nearest to Orathia."

"Don't tell me you stole here too?" I chuckled.

"I was too young." Nickeltinker shrugged. "But I heard stories that you could find anything you wanted in Balr. When Orathia fell, all the thieves moved to the Bordering City."

Beside the interesting history, I read a fact more sinister from their words.

"This is the last human town we'll visit on our way to Orathia, isn't it?" I asked.

Rixen and Nickeltinker exchanged a glance.

"After this," Nick sighed, "we're leaving Bastia."

"And what awaits after Bastia?" I asked, stopping in the middle of the street.

The door of the bar next to us flung open and Ace stumbled out, "Ah, wonders await after Bastia!" His green eyes were bloodshot and he barely stood on his bare feet. "I suggest you gather some trinkets to bribe Liu Raj once we reach their lake."

His warthog, Frank, jumped around him, confusing people further and making them step away from the loud mage.

"What's Liu Raj?" I murmured.

"A spirit." Ace's eyes bulged and he came closer to me. "They will take one secret from you." He pointed his scrawny finger at my chest. "And one wish. One wish that will never be fulfilled."

"Are you drunk?" I sniffed liquor on his breath.

"Are you drunk?" He mocked. A man glanced disapprovingly at his shouting as he walked by. "What are you looking at, you wench? Come at me!"

Rixen grunted loudly, "Let's get out of here."

"Not so fast, you sneaky bastardy fucker!" Ace stumbled away from me. "I smell lies and trickery."

I chuckled, "That might be me."

Nickeltinker wheezed, "It's probably me. I stole this off a guy in the forest." And he took a blade out of his pocket, small and black and eerie-looking.

Ace's eyes widened, "Oh, you spectacular boy! Oh, I love thieves. There's just something so fun about them, you never know what they're going to fetch. Give it to me!"

Nickeltinker hid the blade behind his back, "What is it?"

"It's a personal belonging, you little rascal." Ace chuckled like a maniac. "I love personal belongings. So many possibilities, so many curses! Give it to me. Or better yet, come with me, let's cast some spells."