Chapter 26: Ars Magica

"What did you do?" I asked him, desperation apparent in my voice.

"I pushed you out." Rixen shrugged. "I don't want you in my head anymore and I cannot trust you to stay out on your own."

"How-" My voice broke, "How did you even do that?"

"I figured it out." Another shrug. "Now, please, just leave me alone. I need to be away from you."

My shoulders slumped. He was right to do this. After all, I stepped out of line. Shooing that girl away, intruding his thoughts while he was with her...

Why would I do that?

He said I tried to trick him into wanting me.

"Of all the people in the world," I spoke, "you're the one I didn't trick into wanting me. If you want me, that's all you."

Rixen didn't turn around. Instead, he disappeared inside the tavern again, probably to finish what he started with the redheaded tramp.

I sighed and walked away. Suddenly, the dress I had on appeared too revealing. I crossed my hands on my chest, trying to hide myself from cold and shame.

Anger ceased, replaced by guilt and confusion.

Underneath it all, I missed my mother. She would know what to do. She would comfort me. If she were around, I quite possibly wouldn't even be here. I would be back in Irenwell and my brother would be on this journey instead.

But I would still have magic.

Another sigh left my lips as I walked through the empty streets of Balr. Sounds of celebration were now nothing but a murmur in the distance, quieter with each step I took. When I found myself at the end of the street, on the stone terrace overlooking the dark sea, I realised I had wandered off too far.

"Are you lost?"

I froze the moment I heard the question. A primal pang of fear stirred in my gut.

"No." I answered and turned towards the source of the voice.

A man stood in the shadows. He was tall and rugged, his unshaved beard covered half of his scarred face. He wore dark rags, which made him almost invisible in darkness. He had a flagon in his hand. A wild smirk gripped his lips.

And he was blocking my way back.

"Are you sure?" He asked, coming slightly closer. "I can show you the way back, if you'll follow me."

I took a step back, unable to help myself, "I'm fine. I live just around the corner. And I'm meeting my fiancé shortly." I lied, hoping it might dissuade the man from speaking to me.

But he let out a laugh, "I know who you are. And I know you're not from around here. Don't be stupid and let me show you the way back."

I swallowed the emerging fear. Alright, I just had to walk past him. Nothing would happen. I would just casually stroll past him.

"Thank you, but I'm fine." My voice was strained as I gathered the courage to walk past him and find my way back to the tavern.

Quickly, I glanced around, checking whether there were people anywhere. But I was alone and all the windows were dark.

I hugged myself to prevent the cold and to hide my damn cleavage and scurried ahead, pretending not to be worried.

The man extended his long, muscled arm and blocked my way.

Tears immediately burned in the corners of my eyes. Panic gripped me from head to toe. No, no, no. Rixen would feel this, Rixen would come and save me-