Chapter 37: Far Woe

A strange mixture of enchantment and panic laced the air as we looked at the Aradda Tower, a grey, spiky building, etched into the solid rock of the mountain's cliff. Haunting, frightening towers rose to the night skies; the middle one the tallest, its peak disappearing behind the mushy clouds travelling by.

The cliff we stood on provided a good look at the entrance; a stone bridge, crossing over a deep abyss, leading to the massive, iron door. Trees and bushes protected us from view, but I still felt the presence of every guest entering the imposing fort.

Beings of a completely different origin, ones I've never seen in my life, all dolled and dressed up, walked in pairs towards the door and the ethereal music coming from inside. The sound of melodious, haunting instruments lulled me into awe.

The creatures were mostly tall and lean, with translucent, sparkling skin and deep, soothing voices, dressed in gorgeous finery.

Pieces of clothing I've never seen before exchanged before my eyes, from long robes dragging across the stone bridge, cracking with magic at the edges, creating lights and sparks and colours, to fiery scarves that slid around the body, leaving little to imagination. From dresses created from leaves and flowers, with nocturnal butterflies flying around, to elegant, sleek black dresses that devoured all light.

A deeply sensuous scent travelled through the air, the scent of musk and dangerous, poisonous fruits that lulled their victims into feelings of safety.

This, I thought, this would be something worth retelling, this was a site worth seeing.

"What are they?" I finally opened my mouth.

"Spirits." Rixen answered while sitting next to me on the rock and sharpening his knife.

My companions set up everything we needed to pass through Aradda; weapons, vials of who knew what, clothes and gold. Ace went over the plan three times, but it didn't quite concern me. I would be attending the ball.

"How come back when we were in Woods of Loria the spirits were wolves?" I asked. "All of these look humanoid."

"They have different forms." Rixen said. "It just so happens that the most useful form for dancing is the one that stands on two feet."

"Is everyone here?" I mumbled towards Ace, who sat on the ground and furiously mixed some potions. "Even Liu Raj?"

"No, they don't dance." The mage answered. "But Liliana might be here, she doesn't miss this kind of thing and she did get a blood-induced makeover a couple of days ago. Don't be surprised if she shows up wearing one of your dresses."

Rixen's brows furrowed, "You gave the mind mage your dresses?"

"And my crown." I shrugged. "She wouldn't help us otherwise."

Nickeltinker chuckled, tinkering with vials, strange shooting devices and tiny daggers, "How many crowns are you down to?"

I looked at the green-skinned boy and sighed, "I gave one to Ace, one to Liu Raj and one to the witch. So, I'm down to two."

Nick looked up, "I'll bet you three silver pieces you won't have any by the end of the journey."

I let out a laugh, "I would never give away all my crowns, Nick. People need to know I'm a princess."

"We're lucky nobody tried to kidnap you." Rixen mumbled.

"I'll still bet you three silver pieces." Nick shrugged.

"You're on, floran." I raised my eyebrow. The green-skinned boy leaned towards me and we shook hands on it. "But if you steal them, it counts as cheating."