Chapter 9

The library is very quiet. Perfect for Yeji and Lia to work.

"I'm not sure what we should do for the model. Should we make like a paper mache heart or something?" Yeji asks as she scrolls through Pinterest.

"Hmmm, we COULD do that, but we also need something bigger." Lia says.

"We could do the brain?" Yeji suggests. "Too difficult." Lia concludes. "But, you could draw it?" Yeji looks up and glares at Lia.

"No."

"Yes!"

"No!!"

"YES!!"

"NO!!!"

"Shush!" 

Both Yeji and Lia turn around to look at the librarian. "You shush!!" They turn back round.

"Yes."

"No."

"YES."

"NO."

"YES!!!!!"

"NO!!!!!"

"Stop arguing, I'm trying to think." A girl a few tables away says without looking up. Yeji and Lia look over to where she is.

"Okay, can we have your opinion?" Lia asks and the girl looks up and shrugs. "We're going a science project and I said Yeji here," she nods her head to Yeji, "should draw a brain because she's a great artist and I would do something in paper mache. But Yeji refuses to do it." Lia explains.

The girl thinks for a moment. "Well you shouldn't really pressure someone into doing something they don't want," she says to Lia, making Yeji smile smugly. "and you," she looks at Yeji, "from what I've heard from you're conversations, you did rip your project to pieces in a mood, so maybe this is a way to redeem yourself?" Yeji glares at the girl and Lia this time smiles smugly.

"And who do you think you are listening to our conversations?" Yeji glares at the girl.

"You were talking incredibly loud, so loud I can't concentrate on my Math homework. And I'm Chaeryeong. Lee Chaeryeong."

"Well Chaeryeong I think you should mind your own business." Yeji says.

"Okay then." Chaer says and gets back on with her work. Yeji and Lia look at each other.

"Oh fuck it, I'll do it." Yeji gets up to grab a piece of paper.

"Shush!" The librarian hisses.

"Do you say anything other then that?" Yeji hisses back at him as she walks by, and gets her reply,

"Shush!!!" She rolls her eyes.

(Time skip to after school at Lia's house)

"Your parents are barely ever home." Yeji says as she lies on the bed sketching.

"They usually finish work at 5 but like to spend the evening out. They'll be home by 3." Lia says as she glues red bits of tissue paper together. "What time do yours get home?" She asks Yeji.

"Mother does night shifts at the hospital as well as day shifts, and Dad... He doesn't have a job, that's why mum has to work extra hours." Yeji says without looking up.

"Why doesn't he have a job?" Lia asks curiously.

"Because he needs full time care. He got thrown off a horse in one of his acting jobs and broke his neck. He's paralyzed from the neck down."

Pause. "Oh shit I'm sorry." Lia says. She contemplates whether to get up and hug her. After a few more seconds she gets up a sits on the bed.

Yeji looks up. "It's why mother wants a divorse." She tries to blink away the tears because she doesn't want Lia to see her cry, but she notices.

"Aw, don't cry." She holds Yeji's hand and pulls her into her arms. Yeji doesn't even try to stop her.

"You know we can do something else if you want." Lia says as Yeji pulls away.

"Like what?" Yeji wipes her eyes with her sleeve.

"There's a play park about 15 minutes away. It's for no older then 5 year olds but no one other then teenagers go there any more." Lia explains and Yeji nods.

"Sure, let's go."