Ragging?

A little ounce of surprise was clear on her face as she stood up, finally looking interested in this conversation.
Nandini: But you are not on the team!

Manik: Exactly... I'm not! And I don't want anyone else paying off for something that's clearly my mistake. The team is not at fault.

Nandini stayed shut at my words but I could feel her head turning in thought before she turned her back towards me taking a deep breath, the stiffness of her shoulders clearly visible to me before she finally spoke in the same calm tone,
Nandini: If you are not on the team then what were you doing with the ball on the campus... Or was it intentional that it came directly to me?

My eyes widened at her conclusion as I raised my voice.
Manik: What? No... Not at all!!! I... I would never do that intentionally to you, or anyone for that matter. I didn't even know what happened till I asked Abhi about the try outs and Mukti told me about it all.

Nandini: You Didn't Know! You didn't freaking Know! Everyone knows about this in college... It has been news.

She snapped clearly trying to point out my lies when a sigh escaped my mouth. Talking to her back wasn't exactly making it any easier to me. Deciding to not let her take the lead here, I walked around her so that I could see her face as I replied,
Manik: I didn't know because I'm new here... That day I was here just for admission. I saw the ball and just kicked it randomly in the direction where I thought the field was, which I now realize was so wrong. It was my mistake, not an intentional act.

She stared straight into my eyes as if trying to read me in. I tried to gauge her reaction but her face was as blank as always. I waited for her to speak up but didn't get any reaction making me let out a frustrated sigh, as I threaded my fingers through my hair.

Manik: Can you plz just say something? I have been living in this guilt since yesterday and your blank face is not helping at all....

Nandini's eyes broadened at my sudden outburst before it changed into a glare again.
Nandini: Never raise your voice in front of me again..... 

Her words registered into my head as I blinked in confusion. This was the most difficult girl I had ever come across. She was standing stiff in front of me, glaring at me with venom in her eyes. 

It was now that I realized why everyone in the entire college found her so intimidating, she looked straight into your eyes, looking through each and every little action of yours, as if reading your soul completely while her own eyes stayed as hard as ice. Everything about her was as if covered by this invisible layer which no one could see through, while she enjoyed the liberty to sneak into your head completely.

Shaking my head, I cleared all my thoughts breaking the eye contact with her as I nodded before speaking politely.

Manik: Plz say something!

Nandini: What do you want from me? Why are you telling me this?
She all but demanded me.

Manik: I know I can't go back on what I did, but I at least owed you an apology. Also, now that the football team isn't at fault, I wished if you could get the team back.

Nandini: And why would I do that?
Her voice turning into one with authority, showing off her power.

Manik: Because I m ready to face the repercussions of what I did... I don't want anyone else to do that.

Nandini stared back at me for a few minutes until she turned her back towards me again and spoke in a soft voice almost out of tiredness.
Nandini: Go back to class. Meet me outside the class afterwards, I need some time to let this sink in.

Manik: Sure...
I muttered back at her as I walked out of the class, not before glancing back to watch her sitting back at the table. 

Checking the freaking schedule on the way, I noticed that it was Economics going on and I was already late by half an hour. Shaking my head at the thought of Mrs. Shah nagging on me being late, I reached the class and knocked at the door.