iii

~~~

~~~

There are moments in life where you feel like you're going in circles, returning to the same spot but in a different place.

Over and over again. And even better, you don't know what you're doing.

Yeah, that's how doing an off the books mission with the Republic's beloved hero feels.

~~~

"Who are these people?" Evelyn whispers through her teeth to Anakin as their transport approached Skako Minor with the Bad Batch and Captain Rex by their side.

"Clone Force 99. The Bad Batch," Anakin tells her through the force, "Experimental clones that take on high profile missions. No one knows they exist other than higher ranking officers," Evelyn nodded in response as they prepared for landing. As the ship touched down, the two Jedi made their way to the cockpit.

"Rex, what do we know about this place?" Anakin turns, asking his Captain.

"On this part of Skako, there's a race of locals, the Poletec," Rex says as Anakin nods, "All we know is they're very primitive."

"Primitive is being kind," Tech chimed in, swiveling his chair around to face them, "My intel says the Poletecs worship flying reptiles," and just as he said that, one of those very reptiles slammed into the cockpit window, startling Evelyn, inadvertently causing her to jump right into Anakin's chest.

"Scared much?" Anakin says with a chuckle as Evelyn's face is filled by a blush, "Don't worry, I'll always keep you safe," Evelyn looks at Anakin with a smile, time seeming to stand still.

"Oh! What the heck was that?!" Wrecker screams as he gets himself off the cockpit, jolting the Jedi out of their moment.

"It's one of those reptiles," Tech says frantically as he looks at his data pad, Evelyn reluctantly untangling her arms from around Anakin's neck as he lets her go.

"I want that thing off my ship," Hunter yells as the Batch open the doors and get ready to defend against the reptiles.

"Hold on! Hold on! Don't just run out there," Rex says as they ignore him and run out. Evelyn chuckles and pats him on the shoulder as she grabs her lightsaber off her belt along with Anakin as they follow them out, seeing Poletecs on said reptiles.

"Hey!" Wrecker yells as he motions to the Poletec, "Get off of there!"

"Hey, calm down!" Anakin yells as Evelyn jumps back at her master's sudden anger, "We need to talk to them," he says forcefully.

"Why?" Hunter questioned roughly, but Anakin's stern gaze silenced him.

"Anakin's right-"

"Look out, Ev!" Anakin shouted, and Evelyn was suddenly pushed to the ground. When she looked up, she saw the reptile carrying Anakin away.