The Ancient Cave

Long ago, those in power built a cave, surrounding the previous leader. Those in power created many myths surrounding this cave, as they were afraid of what would come of them if anyone figured out that they were wrong in building the cave. It came to the point where even if someone figured out the truth, they would immediately disregard it.

It was told that this cave was filled with darkness, deception, and despair. Those told these lies only saw the darkness, and were afraid of the deception. Eventually the despair fell out of the fables for the ancient caves. Even those born into power were only fed the lies and never knew of the truth.

One of those born into power, at the the time of this story, was bored of their easy life. They left home in search of an adventure, creating the group which I will call, the Travelers.

The fables of these caves led to nobody watching over it, nor the boy inside. Infact, within only a few generations, they all forgot about the boy who was chained inside. Eventually, without anyone maintaining the chains, the boy was set free. But he had forgotten anything that lied outside the cave, so he never left.

~~~~~~

The boy was all alone in the ancient cave, and didn't remember the feeling of a friend. Or rather anyone, for that matter. Thus, you could imagine the boy's surprise when another was thrown into the cave. This person was so weak, they could barely move. The one who threw that person inside was never identified.

The person became quick friends with the boy, and told him stories of the outside world. But once they grew the strength to walk once more, they ran away from the boy without a second thought.

This left the boy with the feeling of loneliness. The 'friend' had done much more harm to the boy than good. I mean, it is much easier to remember the bad than the good.

Thanks to the stories this 'friend' had told the boy, he was tempted to step outside, for the first time he could remember.

The boy found his 'friend' in the woods, not too far from the ancient cave. Around the friend was blood of animal the 'friend' had killed in order to survive. The boy didn't know this, and ran away from his 'friend' without a second thought.

Unbeknownst to the boy, his 'friend' was found dead a couple days later, only spreading more rumors about the cave.

The boy, however, did not run back to the ancient cave. He was already too excited with the outside world to return into the darkness.

The boy started traveling, and soon met another lonesome traveler. This traveler and the boy got along quite well. After many months, the boy became best friends with the traveler. They could talk for hours with each other, and neither questioned the strange behaviors of the other.

After many years, the boy and his best friend found other people to travel with. They didn't attract much attention from others, until they came across the ancient cave.

The group agreed to go inside, and for the time in centuries, outsiders stepped foot in the ancient cave. The boy was surprised to see others in the cave, cast out from society.

The group tried to teach them their language, but those within the cave were only able to speak in rhymes. After a couple weeks, the group noticed something strange about this group.