Chapter 19

Tiny flecks of snow drifted past the floor-to-ceiling windows of the gym as Alex removed the boxing gloves from her hands. The punching bag was not quite a replacement for the wooden dummy she usually trained with back in Hong Kong, but she had gotten used to it. Half a month into her arrival in Boston and she had finally gotten herself into a routine: early-morning recipe work, a couple rounds with the punching bag while the gym was quiet at lunchtime, then a jog along the river.

While being in Boston had felt strange at the start, she was starting to enjoy the sight of all the red-cobblestone. During her jogs, Alex would pass by markets and local restaurants, getting a feel for the scents of ingredients and the variation in cuisines. She was also enjoying working with Luca, who despite his incurable flirting, was a true professional. His sense of taste was unique, and while it leaned heavily towards the European palate, he was keen to experiment and had good judgement. From her hotel room to the kitchen staff, everything was starting to feel familiar. Everything, that was, except for the one man she had come here to figure out: Gabriel Moncrief.

"I didn't take you for the boxing type."

Alex spun towards the unexpected sound and blinked in surprise. There, walking towards her in trainers, shorts and a simple black t-shirt, was the very man she had just been thinking of. A hint of a smile curved his lips as he stopped a few feet from her. "You're staring."

Alex blinked, feeling a blush creep into her cheeks. "I was lost in thought," she muttered, then used the excuse of putting the boxing gloves onto the rack on the wall to gain a moment to pull herself together. What the hell was he doing here?

When she realised he was still watching her, she pulled at her hairband, tightening her ponytail. "I'm not. The boxing type, I mean. But your establishment doesn't provide a Wing Chung dummy."

"An oversight on our part, we do apologise," Gabriel laughed, a deep sound that pulled the gaze of the three other people using the gym. The woman running on one of the treadmills almost lost her balance, and it was no wonder; Gabriel's expensive looking gym clothes outlined a whole lot of sculpted muscle. Rich, well built and with eyes that could look through your soul.

What the hell was she thinking? Annoyed with her straying thoughts, Alex gave her boss a curt smile. "Well, enjoy your work out - "

"Spar with me," Gabriel said suddenly.

"Sorry?" Alex looked at him as if he'd grown two heads provoking yet another laugh.

"Don't look so surprised. You've been missing your wooden sparring partner, and I believe I owe you some of my personal time." He nodded towards the empty corner room that was used for private classes. "Ask your questions and get your exercise. What do you say?"

Alex had only ever sparred with the monks and that only with them using sticks. Even after years of training, she had only ever been able to use her skills on wood or for evasion. How would it feel to fight someone without fear of absorbing their pain? And to have the opportunity to ask Gabriel questions as well..."Lead on."

Gabriel closed the door once they were in the harbour-view room and began stretching his arms. Alex watched as muscles rippled across his chest and shoulders before averting her gaze from his amused look.

"Do you meditate?" She asked, starting to circle him as he continued to stretch his second arm.

"Meditate? No."

So that was not the source of his control.

"Yoga?"

"No," he answered simply.

Damn it, so what was his trick? Was it a type of martial arts? A philosophy? Alex pulled at her ponytail again, then lifted her hands and attacked with her right fist. Gabriel took two quick steps back, his eyes wide at her sudden start, then he was grinning. He punched with a rotating arm. Alex spun quickly, blocking his next swing with an open palm and feeling nothing but skin on skin. Oh, but this... this was fun! She sunk into a horse stance, watching his footwork with appreciation.

"Taekwondo?" She asked.

"Amongst other things," he attacked this time. Alex blocked with both forearms, her right foot sweeping his front leg to the side then kicking his back leg with lightning speed. Gabriel fell back a few steps, his breath coming fast now. "You're even faster than I thought."

Alex attacked again, then blocked by clutching Gabriel's wrist and striking her forearm to his elbow before sweeping at his leg. This time, he didn't budge. "And you're stronger than I thought."

All thoughts of asking him questions went out the window as the pure joy of movement took over. She ducked, swung, dipped and kicked as their hands, arms and legs connected and pulled apart.

Their dance continued as they circled each other, looking for an opening.

"Mr Moncrief?" A voice from outside the door distracted her for a single moment. That was all it took for Gabriel to push her down to the ground. Recovering her wits Alex pulled but he was expecting the move and in the next moment, Gabriel was on top of her. They were both breathing hard, and for a moment Alex felt like laughing. It might have been the joy of feeling like she was back in the monastery with the Monks. Or the strange sense of liberty at being able to touch another human being without hurting. Either way, she felt genuinely happy, until Moncrief went still above her, and his smiling visage turned serious.

"You should smile more," he said, his fingers reaching to push a strand of hair away from her forehead. His blue gaze caught hers, before dipping lower to her lips. Alex's mind went blank and the scent of bergamot and spice filled her mind.

"Mr Moncrief?" The voice outside the door called again.

"Damn it." Alex felt the vibration of his frustrated growl against her breasts and blushed. What the hell was she doing? With a heave and twist she shoved Gabriel onto his back and rolled up. Then straightening her sleeveless top, she cleared her throat, "You should respond, she sounds nervous."

Gabriel let out a laugh as he stood, but his annoyance was clear in his voice as he opened the door, "What is it Dolores?"

The hotel manager took in the scene, likely getting the wrong idea, before she started to apologise. "I'm sorry sir, but there is a disturbance in Petrichor. With your permission, may I call someone from the legal team?"

A disturbance in the restaurant? Her protective instinct rising, Alex stepped forward. "What's going on?"

"Hold off on calling anyone, I'll take a look myself." Gabriel told the manager, then he looked to Alex. "You coming, Chef?"

She didn't need to be asked twice.