Chapter 47

Alex stepped into Lupus Corp, the tip of her red umbrella resting on the floor as she took in the sheer size of the place. Even though she had been in the building once before, she hadn't had time to look around. Now, in the light of day, she could see groups of employees in power-suits enjoying cups of coffee in the seating areas arranged around small zen gardens. A mix of marble, wood and glass, the thirty-story building had a nature-meets-corporate-world feel; not a surprising choice for a werewolf-run company.

A beep-beep sound had her reaching into her pocket for her phone. The sleek black rectangle was forced on her by Gabriel who said he couldn't believe a phone-less person still existed in this world. Alex had pointed out that living in the forest in hiding didn't really call for a cell phone, but he was having none of it. He wanted her to be 'reachable at all times'. She would have protested if she didn't know he was worried about the Korovic werewolves causing trouble for her.

The way Gabriel told the story, the Korovic Alpha was already making problems for him and now that they knew she was with him, they could try to make things difficult for her too. Alex understood all of that, and appreciated that she had probably made matters worse with the risotto stunt, but she refused to be locked in a hotel room. So, they had come to an understanding: she would keep him posted with her movements, not leave the hotel and keep the phone on her at all times and in return he would get rid of the guards.

Biting her lip, Alex read the message on the phone: Access is granted with facial recognition scanners at reception. I've got you covered, so don't stop at the desk and just come straight up to the 24th Floor.

Alright, so she was only following one of Gabriel's three requests, but she had made no promises. Plus, it was his employee that called her out of the blue and asked if she would come to Lupus Corp to help him run some tests. Sure, Bertie admitted that he hadn't exactly secured Gabriel's permission. He also admitted that it was no coincidence that he called just when Gabriel had to leave for a breakfast meeting in Washington DC. All in all, the scientist made it patently clear that if they got caught, there would be trouble. But hell, after three days of being cooped up in a hotel , Alex needed a change of atmosphere.

Avoiding eye contact with the receptionist, Alex moved into an elevator with a small crowd, pressed 12 then shifted to a corner. People moved in and out of the elevator, some casting curious glances her way, but most unsurprised to see someone they didn't recognise. This was a massive building with hundreds of employees working in the many different companies under Lupus Corp. Hospitality, Health, Technology, the global corporation had its fingers in some major pies and Gabriel Moncrief was the head of it all.

"There you are!" Bertie appeared on the other side of the elevator doors, his black cross earrings dangling with excitement.

The two men beside her bowed respectfully at the sight of the red-haired scientist who was far too busy rubbing his hands in glee to notice. "Come, come, quickly. Follow me!"

Alex walked around the werewolves, using her umbrella to avoid contact as she followed Bertie's fluttering lab coat to a familiar room.

"This place, really?" She frowned at the sight of the chair where she had been forcibly injected only days ago.

"I know, I know, I figured you might not love it," Bertie apologised, moving to the counter where there were several test tubes of varying colour. "But this is the only room where my staff will not disturb me with inane questions." He flashed her a grin, "they're not allowed in here."

"I see," Alex propped her umbrella beside the door. "I guess you want me in the chair?"

"Yes, please!" Bertie gave her a thumbs up, then returned to preparing his test tubes. "You know I'm surprised you agreed so readily to this."