Chapter 46

Gabriel pulled Alex through the Lobby, avoiding the curious gazes of both staff and guests. She hadn't said a word the entire drive back to the hotel and hadn't protested when he took her hand to lead her. This pensive mood and the faraway look on her face; it just wasn't her. He wished he could tell what Alex was thinking, but she was keeping a firm block on her thoughts.

Alexandra Blake. During the silent car ride, Theo sent him the information he had managed to gather in the few minutes they stood watching the sibling as thoughts. Sister of James Blake, heiress of the Blake cooperation, she had graduated at sixteen with an early acceptance to Harvard Pre-Med. That same year she was in a car accident with her parents who died instantly. Alexandra was reported to have been in a coma for several months before she too passed away.

Gabriel glanced over his shoulder at the still silent Alex. She was looking straight ahead, her chin high as if in defiance, but he could tell her eyes weren't focusing on anything in the room. What exactly happened in Hong Kong? The werewolf bite would have put her in a coma, it should have killed her, but how did she end up surviving after being proclaimed dead? There was so much he wanted to ask, but now was not the time. First he had to figure out how to make his woman smile again.

When they entered her suite, Gabriel pushed her onto one of the barstools at the slim kitchen counter and started opening cupboards. At one point last night, Alex had complained about being hungry, so he had ordered Delores to have the kitchenette stocked with ingredients early this morning. Who knew they'd come in handy so soon? Popping flour, vanilla and baking powder on the worktop, he turned to open the fridge.

"What are you doing?" Alex asked when he turned back with milk, butter and eggs.

Gabriel gave her a smile, "Making breakfast." He leaned down, fishing out a bowl and whisk, "You didn't have breakfast, did you?"

Alex shook her head no, then her eyes narrowed as he began to tip flour into the bowl. He was making a mess, but she held back from commenting. She was always holding back. He wanted her to open up, so perhaps he had to lead by example.

"I'm not a very good cook," he began, adding a pinch of salt into the flour. "Maybe because I went to boarding school at a young age, there was never much opportunity to learn. Then at Oxford, I'm not sure why I never cooked, probably because I was too busy with classes and rowing."

"And a strew of girlfriends." Alex mumbled, making him laugh.

"I have no idea where you get that impression."

Alex raised her brows, "I looked you up, before agreeing to work for you. The British tabloids ran many photos of you and your numerous college girlfriends."

Gabriel was pleased with the hint of jealousy in her voice. "Anyway, like I said, I'm no good at cooking, but I'm definitely better than my sister, Angelica." He mixed a random amount of baking power through the flour and hid a smile when Alex cringed. "Once, as an apology for ruining my signed Prince t-shirt, she made me a grilled cheese sandwich. The bread was burnt and the cheese was cold and lumpy. It was more like a declaration of war than a peace offering."

A small smile played at the corner of Alex's mouth, "You liked Prince?"

Gabriel stopped mixing the flour, "I like Prince."

She got up then, motioning him to step aside, "Go sit, Skipper."

Hah," Gabriel laughed, moving out of her way. "Not many people would know his childhood nickname. You're a fan?"

Alex moved his flour mix aside and grabbed a new bowl. "Not particularly, but James was." Her voice went quiet when speaking her brother's name. Gabriel wanted to reach out to console her, but he waited instead. She needed to get things off her chest to feel better, but this was Alex. Talking was not her forte, but from what he knew about her,  cooking would help.