Chapter 59

Alex swayed on the floor of the car, her forehead hitting the bottom of the back seats at each pothole. Streetlights illuminated the inside of the vehicle for a few seconds at a time, moving over the body of the man stretched out on the seats above her. He looked like he was in his mid-thirties, had a square jaw, broad forehead and was very dead.

After moving her out of the alleyway, the Korovic siblings had shoved her into Peter's car which they drove into a side street off a deserted road towards the outskirts of town. After that, Katya left and came back in a small red Nissan, its hapless owner stretched out in the back.

When Alex tried to run at the sight of the body, they tied her hands behind her back and shoved her in to lie beside the corpse.

And she had been lying there since.

Alex swallowed hard and closed her eyes. She didn't know how much time had passed, she didn't know where they were going, but she knew from the way the Korovic siblings were talking openly about their plans that they didn't expect her to survive the night.

From what she could make out of their conversation, they were going to make it look like Alex was hitchhiking and ended up being picked up by a psycho who took her to a forest, where he killed her and then died himself. The reason why he died was the current topic of argument between the twosome in the front.

The dead vehicle-owner's arm shifted across the seat as the car swerved, his lifeless hand grazing her face and bringing tears to her eyes. Alex bit down on her trembling lip until she drew blood. She would not lose control of her emotions. She had to find a way to survive. She had to make sure the bastard who killed her parents suffered. She had to.

Her mind raced through ideas of how she might escape, but what could she do against two werewolves? Her martial arts was only useful for as long as she could withstand the pain she was dishing out.  How then could she escape? How? Before Alex could come up with a plausible plan, the car rolled to a stop.

"Rise and shine!" Katya leaned between the seats, clapping with sick excitement.

The door to the car was yanked open on the side where her feet lay and Peter leaned in to pull the dead man out.

"You in the backseat, me reaching in...now this brings back memories, doesn't it sweetheart?" He winked at her.

A shiver of disgust ran down her spine as she watched Peter juggle the listless limbs of the corpse. 

"All right so we are going to make it look like he strangled her, then slipped on ice and hit his head and died. It'll take me a few minutes to find a good spot and set the scene, you wait here and watch over her." Peter's voice carried from outside where he was speaking to Katya.

"You're so clever, brother," she giggled in response. "Because I keep watching you act like a simpering fool, I often forget how crafty you are." 

"Just watch her and don't do anything stupid." Alex heard Peter's warning, then the crunch of his footsteps on the icy ground faded away.

The door on the other side of the car opened a moment later and pain rushed through her scalp as Katya latched onto her hair and yanked. "Come on out, little bitch."

Alex pushed backwards with her feet, but lost her balance and tumbled out of the car, landing on her arms. Her tied hands burned from the rough rope Katya had used to bind them, and her scalp was on fire.

"Tsk tsk tsk," the werewolf peered down at her, her beautiful face illuminated by the lights inside the car. "What the hell does Gabriel see in you? I just don't get it!"

This was it. With Peter temporarily away, this was probably her only chance for escape. The pitch black forest behind the werewolf wasn't particularly inviting, but it was her only chance. Alex looked at Katya trying to think of the best way to wind her up. People did stupid things when they got angry...