𝗂 : 𝖲𝗍𝖺𝗍𝖾 𝖮𝖿 𝖦𝗋𝖺𝖼𝖾

Choi Beomgyu.

12th of October.

The crisp breath of autumn air swept through the old town of Beverly. Sidewalks rained with vermillion foliage- oftentimes in the shade of ochre. One could smell the brew of pumpkin spice or the sweet early-Halloween donuts. Lawns have already been decorated for the spooky season, although I thought it was quite too early for the latter. People were in their thick coats, cursing October as winter threatened to strike in a few months.

But fall meant carnivals and seasonal contests such as Carve-A-Pumpkin. While most adults loathed the occassion due to prissy kids and terrible pranksters, I found myself standing in the middle of a fair, capturing sceneries for our magazine's autumn issue.

SNAP!

I aimed my camera's lens to the top of a spinning carousel. Its loud music was never pleasant to my ears, but for the sake of the shot, I remained patient. I waited for a red maple leaf to fall and as it passed by the frame, I immediately clicked.

SNAP!

"Oh, boy." I grinned. "Perfect."

Working as a photojournalist has always been fun. I was able to make ends meet. Though I admit that getting into my dream publication was difficult. I strived to prove my worth regardless.

Buzz..

Buzz..

I felt for my phone. It was my co-worker calling.

"Yeah?" I casually greeted. "What's the matter?"

"Where are you?"

"Carnival. Why?"

"I left the harddrive in your drawer before I went home. You think you can redo the edits of yesterday's shoot?"

My brows furrowed. "Did Mr. Cho not like it?"

"He said it looked dull. We need more vibrance, bro. Stick to the cozy aesthetic."

"Got it." I sighed. "When's it due?"

"Friday. You taking pictures now?"

"Yeah, I've been clicking for an hour. Care to help?"

"Can't. Mr. Cho wants me to edit the mag's cover. Fucking son of a bitch."

"Oi!" I snorted. "How dare you!"

"What?! I worked on it overnight and he turned it down without even looking! Honestly, I'd buy this business off his hands someday."

"You might as well do. Alright, see you."

"Bye."

I shoved the phone back into my pocket and proceeded with my duty. More vibrance, huh. I walked around the vast attraction, searching for a new subject. I could see children holding balloons, begging their guardians to take them to various rides. Teenagers lazed on the benches, snacking on corndogs and fries. Lovers watched the sunset as they fed each other cotton candies and caramel apples. I frowned. I wasn't one to usually complain about this minor inconvenience but..