𝗑. 5 𝖠𝖬 𝖱𝖾𝗆𝗂𝗇𝗂𝗌𝖼𝖾𝗇𝖼𝖾

27th of June.

"Hngh.."

Beomgyu rolled to his side. His bed felt frozen cold due to the early morning temperature. Blue haze from the awakening town filled his room as his curtains parted, thanks to the light breeze. Beverly gradually rose to consciousness as the digital numbers of his bedside clock turned 5:00.

Thud!

Beomgyu opened his eyes. His boring, gray ceiling greeted him along with the low humming of the air conditioner. He laid for a little more while, ears perking up as he listened to the world outside.

"Wait a minute.."

His brows furrowed. He surely did just hear a door close. He slowly sat up, leaving the comfort of his mattress. As the heavy comforter fell to the floor, Beomgyu dragged himself across the dark. He pressed a prying ear close to the door and heard shuffling. Y/N was up too early. Confused and concerned, Beomgyu twisted the knob and sneakily exited his room.

"Y/N?"

She didn't respond. Beomgyu caught glimpse of her silhouette walking past the kitchen. He followed her. She headed to the balcony, sliding the glass door with ease. Car honks and bicycle rings filled the ambience of his unit as Y/N stepped out. Beomgyu sighed. He pocketed his hands inside his pajamas and trailed after the girl.

As expected, cool morning mist slapped his face. His eyes feasted upon the sight of the sky turning into a breathtaking gradient of black and blue. Birds flew overhead. Swallows perched on cabe wires. A nearby bakery lit up its store sign. A mixed aroma of cinnamon rolls and coffee permeated the air. A couple jogged down the street. A little boy was ringing his wee bicycle, tossing folded newspapers into lawns. A tabby cat just strutted out of a leaky alley, meowing. A stray dog barked, pushing down a garbage bin in search for breakfast. The humble town of Beverly flashed its daily scenarios before the two who stood silently.

"Good morning," Y/N suddenly croaked. "Had a nice sleep?"

"Yeah." Beomgyu smiled, wondering how she sensed his presence from behind. "What about you?"

"I'm not sure. I was up all night."

"Why? What's the matter, Y/N?"

"Nothing, really.." She blinked. "..or maybe there is. I don't know."

Beomgyu stood beside her. He propped his elbows against the steel railings. He paid her a short glance. On her hands was a thick photo album. Y/N frowned.

"Wanna talk about it? I'm here to listen."

She sighed. "I feel sad. I feel empty. I've been having these bad thoughts for weeks. I don't know why. Everytime I see a random thing or hear a particular word, I just.. Crumble."

"Is it Shithead? Mr. Fudge?"

"Yes," Y/N eagerly nodded. "Also, whenever you call me sunshine or darling, I get this weird sense of nostalgia."

Beomgyu tapped his chin. He knew by then that she was having vague thoughts about Nana Mei. Y/N propped the photo album open. Skimming through the plastic pages, she came halted right on an old photograph. Curious, she pulled it out from its sleeve and stared. It was a picture of a young girl wearing a birthday hat. An old lady was standing next to her, holding a small cake with six candles aglow. Y/N flipped the paper and slightly gasped.