Chapter 12: Wake up call.

Evelyn

I rushed home as quick as I could and I wasn't surprised when i found River waiting on the couch. I inwardly smiled that she had waited up for me so late.

"Sorry I'm late Riv." I walked into the living room to see her watching Netflix but I could tell she wasn't actually watching what was on as it was a romance and if you know River she hated romance.

"Oh she returns. Better late than never." I rolled my eyes at how dramatic she was but the smile never left my face.

"Cuddles?" I tilted my head because she hadn't moved from the couch. Hoping she wasn't upset at me for being late.

She turned and before i knew it i was swung over her shoulder as she run through the house and up the stairs. I screamed at her to put me down, holding my dress down as it was flying up with her running.

"Be quite!" Ashley shouted through the house.

"What's wrong with her?" I asked River as she gently placed me down as he arrived at the bedroom door.

She snorted, "she's a fucking moody bitch, thats what." I slapped her shoulder to scold her.

"River! Stop cursing." I shook my head and huffed. She laughed and urged me to come into the room but i shook my head.

"Im just running to check on the kids." She nodded her head at me and let me go.

I wondered through the hall towards Mackenzies room and could tell the light was still switched on through the crack under the door. I creaked it open and when i seen her laying in the bed on her phone i smiled at her.

"Hi pumpkin." She looked up and gave me a tired smile.

"Hi Ev, how was the sex?" I gasped in shock before throwing the nearest thing closest to me at her which happened to be a fluffy teddy. She laughed at my red face.

"Mackenzie, don't speak like that!" Her laugh got louder.

"Sorry I haven't seen you much today Mack, i'll make it up to you tomorrow! I promise." She rolled her eyes.

"Im 17 Evelyn, i don't need you to be monitoring me." I softly smiled.

"I know but still." I sighed. "I need to enjoy the time i have with you before you return home." She nodded un agreement. At the mention of going home her smile faded a little and I could tell she had been avoiding thinking about home in general.

"I don't want to go home." She frowned.

"I know pumpkin but you know that-"

"I know Ev, you can't look after me and Parker. That isn't what I'm upset about. I have started to apply to university, that means leaving Parker at home alone." I bit my lip at the thought.

"Don't you be worrying about it. I knew it was coming that you'd be leaving for university and I don't want Parker being there by himself. I will figure something out, goodnight pumpkin." I started to close the door but as i did she called out.

"Thats the thing, you always have the worry. Never me, or Parker, or mum." I frowned.

"I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to any of you Mack. If i don't do it then theres a chance something will and I'm not willing to risk that. Get some sleep." I gave her a soft smile as i left the room, my lip hurting from biting it so hard.

Walking to Parkers room i found a "stay out" sign on his door and inwardly rolled my eyes at this kid. I creaked the door open and found him fast asleep with his headset still on and his Xbox still playing on the screen. I smiled at it and creeped over to gently remove them and switch the TV off.