Chapter 14: Numb.

Evelyn

My arm was numb but I definitely wasn't going to move it from underneath Parker. He had only just fallen asleep and I wasn't going to risk waking him up again. So, I stayed cuddled with him in his room, my mind wandering over to the dark sky. Suddenly a memory flashed into my mind.

Flashback:

"I hate the dark mummy." She chuckled as we both stared out at the stars.

"I know you do, but it's not as scary as you think sweetheart." I was lay on her as she leaned against the cold window. I loved the routine of us coming up for bedtime and watching the stars for awhile before bed.

"It is scary, there is always bad villains out in the dark!" She laughed.

"That is true." She looked down at me, "whenever your in the dark and your scared just look for the brightest star in the sky." My head tilted.

"Why mummy?" I looked out, trying to find the brightest star and when I found it I shouted "I found it!"

"Good girl. That will be mummy. When your scared, just look for me. I'll be there, watching over you all the time through your life when I can't be there. I'll ALWAYS be watching." I smiled.

"I'm never going to be away from you mummy, you have to stay with me forever and ever!" I demanded and she chuckled against me, her body rumbling with her.

"I will try sweetheart. I will try my best to protect you always. But IF I can't. Just look for me okay?" I nodded my head.

"I will find you mummy" she kissed my head.

"Okay. Time for bed."

Flashback ended

My eyes searched the sky, looking for the brightest star in the sky. When I found it I couldn't help but smile.

"There you are." I muttered. Suddenly the bedroom door slightly opened and I moved a little to see who it was.

"Evelyn." It was Natalia. I tried my best to not wake Parker but remove myself from the bed and I slowly and successfully achieved it.

I left the room and headed into the hall where she waited for me. Her arms were crossed over her body and her hair was messier than when I had seen her before, she held a concerned look on her face.

"I have spoken to the police," I sucked in a large breath, as if it will ready me for the next words. "They have already suspected an overdose from how it looked but to be sure an autopsy is going to be done for confirmation." I nodded. It wasn't a miracle to work out that my mother was a drug addict. Everybody in our town knew and she was always has a regular run in with police so they frequently seen her face. Well, the keyword now being HAD.

I bit my lip and looked up from my feet towards her again, I tilted my head and her eyes fell towards my shaking bottom lip. "I don't know what to do Natalia.  My feelings are all over the place, it almost doesn't seem real." She held her arms out and I rushed into them.

A feeling of warmth rushed through me. She had not left my side all day as I cried and cried until I had no tears left, just my thoughts and memories playing over in my head.

"I know honey, it's going to be hard but you have the most amazing people around you to help, and I'm definitely not leaving your side." A shuddering breath left my lips as tears started to fall all over again. I closed my eyes and let her swallow me for just a minute so I could feel some comfort.

She's gone. I have nobody but my siblings. And then there is the responsibility of them while I am still at university.

Over the years I had got used to the thought of her not being alive as long as I wished she would be. Like how long parents usually are.