Chapter Five: Battle Trial

The cafeteria was crowded at lunchtime, and the students inside loudly chatted. Finally, Killua walked to a table with only one occupant, the indigo-haired boy from before.

Recognizing Killua, the boy accused, "Are you here to flaunt that you passed the entrance exam and I didn't?"

"Nope, I just came because I recognized you, and you seem interesting," Killua replied honestly, setting down his food tray.

The indigo-haired boy muttered frostily, "I find you interesting, but not in a good way. Why don't you just leave?"

"Don't be like that. Why don't you tell me your name? I'm Killua Zoldyck, but you can call me Killua." Killua said.

"My name is Hitoshi Shinso. Now, can you leave?" Hitoshi grumbled.

"Nah, I don't feel like it. What course are you in?" Killua answered.

"General Studies, but as soon as the Sports Festival comes, I'll be taking a spot in the Hero course!" Shinso said.

"You seem to have the drive to be a hero," Killua said.

"Yes, but because of my quirk, I was thought to be a future villain, though I haven't committed any crimes!" Shinso said.

"What is your quirk? I won't judge you." Killua said.

"I'll tell you, but don't think of me any differently, okay?" Shinso said.

"Got it," Killua said.

"My quirk is.... brainwashing," Shinso revealed.

"Seems like a useful quirk, Hitoshi," Killua said.

"So you're not judging me? And I never gave you permission to call me Hitoshi! Don't get overly familiar with me!" Shinso said.

"Why would I judge you? I did say I wouldn't. You seem like a decent person, and it's not like you've done anything villainous." Killua said.

"Thanks. Your understanding means a lot to me. You're the first person besides my parents to not judge me because of my quirk." Shinso said awkwardly.

"You're welcome. So, want to be friends?" Killua said, reaching his hand out.

"No, you might not have judged for my quirk, but I'm not going to cozy up to a Hero Course student just yet." Shinso refused, hesitating before slapping Killua's hand away.

"I can live with that, but I'm going to sit at your table if you don't mind. You can call me Killua. I'm not big on honorifics." Killua said.

"I guess I wouldn't mind that. But that still doesn't make us friends. But you're not too bad, I suppose." Shinso said.

"Really? Thanks. I'll be going to my next class: Hero Basic Training. You can also attend if you transfer into the Hero Course." Killua said.

"I will, Killua," Shinso said softly but determinedly.

Then they parted ways, and Killua went to the 1A classroom.

"I have come through the door like normal!" All Might boomed.

I'm pretty sure normal people don't come through the door like that, and what's with the cape? Is it really necessary? Killua thought.

Members of Class 1A chattered, saying things like "I can't believe All Might's really gonna teach us!" and "He's wearing his silver age costume!"

"Hero Basic Training will be a class that'll put you through many ordeals to turn you into heroes! We will be doing battle training today! For that, you'll need costumes formed on your quirk registrations and requests." All Might announced.