𝑺𝑻𝑨𝒀 𝑫𝑶𝑵𝑬 - 𝑶𝑵𝑬

╭✶                                    ✶╮ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ: ɴᴇᴡ ʜᴏᴍᴇ╰✶                                    ✶╯

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ: ɴᴇᴡ ʜᴏᴍᴇ
╰✶                                    ✶╯

Tuesday
October 10, 2020

ESME'S POV

"Toriah, can you help me?" I asked, struggling to carry these heavy boxes up the staircase to our new apartment.

"No. It seems like you got it" My sister, Toriah Reyes said with a laugh as she went inside the apartment.

Chicago is our new home. You know, temporarily, of course. Not that you asked but my family and I are always on the road. We never stay in one place for long. Mom practically gets new job offers every three months. Which is why we're here and enrolling in school almost two months later than the rest.

Our last home was in Atlanta, Georgia, and I would move back there in a heartbeat!

It was one of my favorite moves out of all the ones we've made. I made one friend, Madelyn, which was more than enough for me. She was the only friend I had and thanks to this move and the argument we had, I lost her. I'm going to try not to get too attached to the friends that I make here since we won't be staying that long.

I was halfway up the stairs and groaned at the fact that the boxes tipped over and rolled down the steps.

"Great" I groaned. "Later, Ma!" I heard someone say as I made it down the steps. I picked up two boxes and struggled to get the last one. "Whoa. Hey. You need some help?" The person asked. They sounded like my age with an accent too. "No. I don't need your help" I responded out of annoyance while still struggling.

"I don't mind. It's not a problem at all" They said.

"Well, I do!" I huffed, letting go of the box and looking up to see the person before me. Oh, wow. I blinked as she raised a brow. "Not! I- I mean I do not mind... if it's not too much trouble" I said as I dropped the other two boxes, on purpose. "Okay" She laughs.

"So, I know I'm not the smartest person in the world-" The girl squats down and grabbed the three boxes like it was nothing; "-But if I didn't know any better I'd say you dropped these boxes on purpose".

I giggled and looked down. Stop embarrassing yourself. "Sorry for being so rude" I apologized. "It's cool" She says. "I'm Tess" The girl said. "Esme" I said. "That's a pretty name" Tess says as she smiles. "Uh, thanks" I returned the same gesture.

We both stared at each other for a moment and butterflies started to flutter in my stomach.

Her eyes are so pretty.

"Esme!" Tess's sort of yell breaks me out of thought. "Yes?" I said while shaking my head and focused on what was happening. "I asked where you're apartment was" Tess said with a grin. "Oh, right, um- it's the floor just above this one" I said. "Got it" Tess nods, adjusting the boxes with her hands.

"Tess, are you sure you got all of those boxes? 'Cause I can take two from you" I asked.

"Nah, it's fine. Promise" She shook her head.

"You can go first" Tess tells me. "Okay, cool" I said as I went up the steps. "I like your accent. Atlanta, right?" Tess asked. "Yeah. How did you know?" I question. "My aunt used to live there" Tess answers. "Makes sense" I said. Tess hummed.

Turning the corner of the staircase, Tess and I made it to my apartment. "So, this is you, huh?" Tess asked. "Yep. All me" I said. "You can just sit them there and I'll do the rest" I told her. "You sure?" Tess asked. "I'm sure" I said with a nod as I turned to face her.

"Thanks for the help".

"I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it up here if it wasn't for you" I stated. "No problem" Tess says. "I gotta get going though but I'll see you around, Peach" Tess says before she leaves. "Peach?" I muttered, taking in the nickname she gave me.

I brushed it off and went inside the apartment. "I see you got the boxes after all" Toriah says as she walks by. "Oh, shut up. 'Cause you could've helped and you know it" I said with an eye roll. That's my little sister. She's biracial, a black mom, and a white dad. She's the closest thing I got to a real best friend, even though she gets on my nerves a lot.

Even then I wouldn't change it for the world.

"Yo, sis, have you seen my glasses?" My older brother, Dylan Reyes asked me. "No I haven't" I answered, opening up another box while pushing my glasses up. "Here, you blind bat. They were on the counter" Toriah said as she handed Dylan his glasses. "Thanks, T" He said as he went to go get more boxes from the corner. Dylan and Tori are half-siblings.

And while he thinks he's the hottest thing that has walked on planet Earth, he's also very protective of me, Tori, and Mom. He's a real sweetheart once you get to know him outside of his mean-mugging demeanor. I love that idiot. It's just too bad he's moving out to go to college. Can't really blame him though. "Mom, do you know where the bed sheets are" Tori asked.

"Why are you trying to decorate your room when there is so much more to unpack" Mom questions from the kitchen.

"Because I want to get started on my room" Tori said with a smile.

Mom rolled her eyes which made me laugh. Riley Reyes is our mother. She's the best. She's very supportive of anything we do as long as it's safe and she knows about it. I'm glad she adopted me instead of someone else because if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have become the girl I am today. I can't say I'm thrilled to be here but it is going to be another adjustment.

New home, New start... I guess.